Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Refunded Amtrak Tickets To Vouchers I Have No Use For!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Hello Everyone , I'm Mike and I just signed up for this forum and this is my first post. I hope I am in the right place to discuss my issue with Amtrak. I had made a group booking on the Coast Starlight several months ago and last week I was forced to cancel the trip due to unforeseen circumstances. It was no problem for me to cancel the bookings with Amtrak but they only offered me e-vouchers to use on any future travel within the next year. The problem with that is that the group has changed their plans and are no longer coming to California so I have no use for these vouchers. I'm stuck with almost $4000 in Amtrak travel credits that Amtrak says can be used by any person for any Amtrak route within the next year.

If anyone knows any way to convert these vouchers to anything other than Amtrak travel please let me know or if you have any ideas as to what my options are then please let me know.

Thank you so much for reading this and I hope to hear from someone soon!

Mike
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hi Mike. Welcome to Flyertalk! Flyertalk has an Amtrak forum (link below) & I'm sure the mods will move this post there, where you'll probably get input re: your options. Good luck!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...t-rewards-399/

Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:57 am
Original Poster

thank you so much for that!

Moderators.... Feel free to move it anytime now!! 😀
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: Amtrak
I don't know if this will help, but a couple of year ago my son found himself in the same situation. All I needed to use his voucher myself was the information in the email he got. I reimbursed him as I gradually used it up.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So I guess the question to OP is whether he has someone he knows and trusts and can deal with hassle-free who has a need for $4K in Amtrak travel in the coming year.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

When I have received e-vouchers from Amtrak, I believe they contained language about how much was refundable and in what timeframe. The time limit for getting cash from the e-voucher was less than the time limit for credit on a new ticket, and the cash refund was 90% of the refunded amount. (Yes, that is a semantic discontinuity, but that was the terminology that I recall Amtrak using.)
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by serpens
When I have received e-vouchers from Amtrak, I believe they contained language about how much was refundable and in what timeframe. The time limit for getting cash from the e-voucher was less than the time limit for credit on a new ticket, and the cash refund was 90% of the refunded amount. (Yes, that is a semantic discontinuity, but that was the terminology that I recall Amtrak using.)
I believe that I saw an announcement recently, that stated that the cash refund option is being reduced to 80 percent from 90.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
What sort of fare did you book? If it's a nonrefundable fare, then vouchers are your only option.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
$4000 on the CS probably means sleepers, which would (in theory) be refund-eligible.

Yes, there was a (regrettable) recent switch to a 20% fee instead of 10%. I do not recall if that applies on the basis of the date of booking/cancellation or not (and if not, depending on timing you might have some luck fighting it out with your CC if the booking was prior to the change being announced).
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
$4000 on the CS probably means sleepers, which would (in theory) be refund-eligible.

Yes, there was a (regrettable) recent switch to a 20% fee instead of 10%. I do not recall if that applies on the basis of the date of booking/cancellation or not (and if not, depending on timing you might have some luck fighting it out with your CC if the booking was prior to the change being announced).
If it is a sleeper and the cancellation was less than 15 days prior to travel, the reservation is non-refundable. Voucher only.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:20 am

Programs: DL,UA,AA,F9,NK,B6
I also have the voucher that is to expire within a few months. If during its validity time I don't ride Amtrak which is more than likely, I am thinking of buying another ticket no matter where and cancel it soon, so I will have a new refund voucher that would be valid for another year.

Any thoughts if this would work?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mandrivnyk
I also have the voucher that is to expire within a few months. If during its validity time I don't ride Amtrak which is more than likely, I am thinking of buying another ticket no matter where and cancel it soon, so I will have a new refund voucher that would be valid for another year.

Any thoughts if this would work?
Yes, this does work. I've done it many times. Then cancel, and your voucher will be good again for another year.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by saxman66
Yes, this does work. I've done it many times. Then cancel, and your voucher will be good again for another year.
Great, thank you for the confirmation! I will write here about my experience when the time for this trick comes.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: AGR, HH
To the original poster:

As another poster suggested, Amtrak vouchers are transferable to another traveler. I had a friend visiting from London who had to cancel an Amtrak trip. I use his voucher to purchase tickets for some upcoming trips, and reimbursed him for the value of the voucher. Now, this was for a couple hundred dollars, not thousands. You may have a trickier time finding someone who needs to buy a high-value Amtrak trip.

If you think you can eventually use the value, you can do what another post has suggested, to extend the voucher's life. When the voucher is about to expire, book a trip and apply the voucher to it. Then cancel the trip. You'll be issued a new voucher, with a new expiration date.

PF
Old May 16, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by mandrivnyk
Great, thank you for the confirmation! I will write here about my experience when the time for this trick comes.
This worked very well to me!

Yet I do have another related question. Is it possible to buy Amtrak points with the voucher? I was unable to find anything about that, but other people might have known that trick if it's possible at all, so I decided to ask here.

Thanks!

Last edited by mandrivnyk; May 18, 2017 at 1:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.