Wiki Posts
Search

Website Infuriatingly Buggy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Website Infuriatingly Buggy

Am I the only one who finds Amtrak's website infuriatingly buggy? Sometimes it will refresh itself for no reason, clearing my search results, or clearing my serach criteria as I'm typing it in.

Today, the site hit a new low, when it told me that there's no service between Boston and Portland, ME today.

Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yes, I agree that the website is infuriatingly buggy, and clearing user-entered information is especially annoying. On the other hand, I evidently have higher standards than corporate honchos who pay for website development, and I find most websites to be poorly implemented.

In case any corporate honcho is reading this, I visit a website for information—not pretty pictures, not beautiful color schemes, not flashy displays, just information. If the website does not provide information accurately, clearly, and quickly, it has failed to live up to its potential.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by diburning
Am I the only one who finds Amtrak's website infuriatingly buggy? Sometimes it will refresh itself for no reason, clearing my search results, or clearing my serach criteria as I'm typing it in.

Today, the site hit a new low, when it told me that there's no service between Boston and Portland, ME today.

Could it be at the time of your request it was not possible to do a round trip as you requested?

Yes, there are issues with the website and I am constantly having to check to make sure it hasn't reverted my searches to my home stations or changed the date. But that's more on me for taking shortcuts and not watching what's happening.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:48 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Did you use BON as the origination instead of BOS? Boston <-> Portland service happens from North Station, where all other Amtrak service happens from South Station.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by lo2e
Did you use BON as the origination instead of BOS? Boston <-> Portland service happens from North Station, where all other Amtrak service happens from South Station.
Graphic shows BON.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:53 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Whoops, sorry, it is filtered out on my work computer for some reason so I can't see the image.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Could it be at the time of your request it was not possible to do a round trip as you requested?

Yes, there are issues with the website and I am constantly having to check to make sure it hasn't reverted my searches to my home stations or changed the date. But that's more on me for taking shortcuts and not watching what's happening.
The app was happy to sell me the roundtrip, none of the trains were sold out
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
The app was happy to sell me the roundtrip, none of the trains were sold out
Unfortunately, if the app does something different than the website doesn't mean the app is correct.

What I was thinking maybe your request was late enough in the day that you could not get to POR in time to catch a return train.

Have you reported the issue to Amtrak? The error message had to be triggered by a particular situation and they should be able to look it up. Have you been able to repeat it? Maybe there was an update happening and bad data was returned from the search.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

The search was done for (pretty much) the next day (since I was searching around midnight), so it would not have been a problem. None of that day's trains had left yet.

It keeps telling me that my profile has been suspended whenever I do any sort of search, but I'm not logged in at all on the site, so I have no idea what it thinks my profile is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.