Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak will replace flipping departure board at 30th Street

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak will replace flipping departure board at 30th Street

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
How is the sound "stupid"?

And how do you know that's the reason it was removed?

I'll concede that a noise that sounds like "flipping" will quickly become an anachronism. But the basic idea of an audible cue to alert passengers to the presence of updated information seems "sound" (bad pun intended).
The sound was added because people complained about how they were used to reacting to the noise of the Solari board as a cue to look up for the change.

The flipping sound added to the LED board would not play until AFTER any automated announcements, rendering it stupid and pointless. The automated announcement would provide information that everyone in the station would be hearing, and would look up at the board as a reaction, rendering the delayed flipping noise useless. People have since learned to not rely on the flipping noise, which didn't do much anyway, in the method that they implemented it.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Count me as one of the one's who will miss it. Newark lost theirs recently too, I think Providence might still have theirs though.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CMK10
Count me as one of the one's who will miss it.
Me, too.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:24 am

Providence and Route 128 both still have theirs.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Shh... don't remind them about the one at The Route! I feel like no one knows it's there...
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I remember right before the one at New Haven was pulled, seeing it stuck referring to "5HORE LINE EAST" on one line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.