Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak cpp?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Amtrak redemption only 1.4 cpp?

Excluding Saver fares (lowest fare bucket), I was under the impression that "Value" fares were supposed to get about 2.9 cpp (cents per point) on Amtrak. On a search for a trip from NYC to DC on 9/2, I'm seeing fares of $115, but the point costs are 7,935 - a cpp of 1.4cpp, which is less than half of what it is supposed to be. Anyone know why the point cost is so high and the cpp is so low?

The same cpp appears to be for business fares- which are going for $160 or 11,040 points.

Point cost: http://imgur.com/a/aLAY8

Cash cost: http://imgur.com/a/lJgUD

Last edited by wiivile; Aug 10, 2016 at 1:55 pm
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Certain things that were well-publicized when AGR2.0 was announced turned out to be not true.

Among those were "no blackout dates/times" and "fixed point redemptions at 2.9cpp".

There was even a calculator on the website where you could calculate your travel cost under the new program. That calculator, along with any mention of 2.9cpp, got quickly removed.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
What can we say.... call up the consumer financial protection bureau at this point! AGR 2.0 was looking good on paper and then Amtrak changed all their promises....
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by hi55us
What can we say.... call up the consumer financial protection bureau at this point! AGR 2.0 was looking good on paper and then Amtrak changed all their promises....
Probably complain to the DOT... Amtrak just seems to be making it up as they go alone while keeping their customers in the dark.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:52 pm

What would the grounds for the complaint be?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hi55us
Amtrak is a consumer finance company?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
it could be that all the better redemptions are sold out? (a guess)
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
There is pretty much zero chance that any govt agency or court of law is going to get involved in adjudicating the value of award redemptions.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
And at this point, the stuff was taken down long enough back that a false advertising claim would be increasingly tenuous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.