Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Chicago Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:04 pm

I will be taking my very first Amtrak train in a few months with my wife, and we will be going to Chicago so I was looking up the lounge. With reports so varied I cannot decide if it is worth the effort of trying to find and purchase and voucher to get in or not.

Being my first trip on Amtrak I really want my wife to enjoy it hence my thinking of the lounge, but I don't want to waste money either. Will be hard as a recreational traveler to ever get status it seems.

Just purchased tickets last night, if this goes well we have other train trips to try!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:31 pm

Bear in mind there are two lounges in CUS, the Metropolitan Lounge run by Amtrak and the Legacy Lounge which is independent (although apparently gets boarding priority). For the Legacy Lounge, you pay an admission fee ($20, I think). Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge is for Business Class and Sleeping Car ticket holders traveling that same day.

While I haven't been to the new Metropolitan Lounge, I have been to the old one and several others (Metropolitan Lounge in LA, Club Acela in New York and Washington). The lounge is a pleasant place to sit while waiting for your train and more pleasant than the regular waiting areas in CUS, but nothing special and generally not as nice as airline clubs. There will probably be snacks (best lounge snack are the big chocolate chip cookies in LA's lounge) and free soft drinks and coffee. My personal opinion is if you want the lounge, just go ahead and buy a Business Class ticket. The upgrade is usually not terribly expensive. One of the main perks of the Metropolitan Lounge is the ability to leave your carry on luggage there and go out exploring when changing trains in Chicago.

Some consider the Legacy Lounge nicer and anyone can get in for the $20.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by zephyr17
Bear in mind there are two lounges in CUS, the Metropolitan Lounge run by Amtrak and the Legacy Lounge which is independent (although apparently gets boarding priority). For the Legacy Lounge, you pay an admission fee ($20, I think). Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge is for Business Class and Sleeping Car ticket holders traveling that same day.

(edited for length)

My personal opinion is if you want the lounge, just go ahead and buy a Business Class ticket. The upgrade is usually not terribly expensive. One of the main perks of the Metropolitan Lounge is the ability to leave your carry on luggage there and go out exploring when changing trains in Chicago.

Some consider the Legacy Lounge nicer and anyone can get in for the $20.
Correct on all points. The Metropolitan Club is new but just for business class / sleeper car folks. It does feel sterile but the agents are quite enthusiastic. There were free soft drinks, tea, and coffee today when I went. We weren't given "priority boarding" per se, but we did form our own little line and walked a different way to the tracks than coach passengers.

The Legacy Club is rumored to be much nicer (I haven't been there) and offers priority boarding ahead of all other passengers traveling on the train. The fee is $20.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Does the Legacy lounge take Priority Pass? Wish Amtrak would partner with a credit card program like Priority Pass to provide lounge access.... Would bring in extra cash for them...
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Amtrak
Originally Posted by jobtraklite
I was in the lounge on the 6th and 11th. Physically, I think it is spectacular.

But operationally, it's still Chicago. Showers are only a rumor. As for food, every once in a while, a few chips and pretzels would appear. The ice machine was not working one of the days I was there. The upstairs was closed off sometime during the afternoon, long before the evening long distance trains left.
I was there again in early and mid February, and would like to retract my negative comments. Ice machine worked wine tasting is still there, there was a nice assortment of veggies and cheese and a delux nut and dried fruit mixture, and the shower was great.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I have a business class seat to Champaign, IL this thursday afternoon. I will update this thread on how things go. I may try to get some pictures in as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.