Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie with lots of BOS-NYP trips

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM
Newbie with lots of BOS-NYP trips

I've taken a new job where I will be going from BOS-NYP and back every week.

I would love advice on how to best accumulate (should I get the credit card?) and use points (is there any way to optimize point use). I'm paying personally for all the trips, so I'd like to try to be able to save as much money as possible.

I'm assuming I should try to get status as fast as possible to maximize my points. If I get the credit card, does that mean I'll end up getting 5 points for every $1 spent (2 from the travel and 3 from the credit card?)

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: AGR, Alaska Air, CSP, IHG, Hyatt
I'm not in the NE corridor so can't answer your questions, but did you know that there is a very active Amtrak-specific forum on another site? Take a look at http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/. You'll find lots of folks with lots of amtrak advice.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:52 pm

I go weekly NYP-BAL and I tend to book my trips as early as possible, sometimes months in advance, to get the cheapest price. The best usage of points to save money, I find, is to use them whenever you've just missed booking the Saver fare and the cheapest bucket available is the one just above Saver. For my trips, that's $79. I tend to book maybe every fourth or fifth trip with points just to save the fare.

I do use the credit card and it also helps you achieve status if you have the version with a yearly fee.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
When you are booking, take a look at Acela, even if you typically ride a conventional Regional train. Sometimes in the BOS-NYP market the Acela fares are not much higher than the Regionals, and besides the nicer train and faster trip, you get 2.5 points per dollar riding Acela - all counting toward status.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by stalefish10
If I get the credit card, does that mean I'll end up getting 5 points for every $1 spent (2 from the travel and 3 from the credit card?)
Only if you get the annual fee credit card ($79/year, IIRC). The free version of the card would net you 4 points (2 from the travel, and 2 from the card).

Either way, yes, you should get the card.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by musicalbox
I go weekly NYP-BAL and I tend to book my trips as early as possible, sometimes months in advance, to get the cheapest price. The best usage of points to save money, I find, is to use them whenever you've just missed booking the Saver fare and the cheapest bucket available is the one just above Saver. For my trips, that's $79. I tend to book maybe every fourth or fifth trip with points just to save the fare.

I do use the credit card and it also helps you achieve status if you have the version with a yearly fee.
I use the exact same strategy, since my commute travel is not paid by my company. I book well in advance for Saver fares. If the bucket is sold out, I revert to using points. This tends to happen when I need to travel on certain days of the week or around holiday periods.

I supplement this with the credit card. The extra 4,000 TQP per year allows me to use points when I need to; in the past, I'd been reluctant to use points in fear of not retaining S+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.