Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most scenic one-zone option?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Most scenic one-zone option?

I thought I had posted something similar a month ago..but I don't see it on a search.
I am debating between: 1) Coast-Starlight LAX-Portland (then possibly continue on the Empire Builder) or continue on to SEA

and
2) California Zephyr - DEN-SFO (can we continue onto SEA on the Coast Starlight?)

We would have a one-bedroom and travel this May.

Thank you!

Last edited by CherylD; Jan 20, 2016 at 1:34 pm
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CherylD
I thought I had posted something similar a month ago..but I don't see it on a search.
By searching for other posts by you and looking in the results for posts in this (Amtrak) forum, I found:
Is that the thread you were looking for?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

I found that one...but I thought I had asked specific routing questions..not just what do I get with 25K. Plus hoping for responses from people who have taken both of these routes as to preference.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:36 pm

I am debating between: 1) Coast-Starlight LAX-Portland (then possibly continue on the Empire Builder) or continue on to SEA

and
2) California Zephyr - DEN-SFO (can we continue onto SEA on the Coast Starlight?)

We would have a one-bedroom and travel this May.

Thank you!
I would say that these two are the most scenic routes in the Amtrak system. The Coast Starlight's highlight is the 113 miles of coastal scenery in southern California. The routing is best in the spring, when the hillsides are green. North of the Oregon line, you have forests, lakes, and rivers, and an occasional sighting of peaks in the Cascades.

The California Zephyr between EMY and DEN includes two scenic daylight segments: the respective crossings of the Sierras and the Rockies, plus the canyon country of western Colorado. Any time of year is fine on this route.

You should be able to travel LAX-DEN or DEN-SEA on a single award using a combination of both routes.

Last edited by Reindeerflame; Jan 20, 2016 at 1:43 pm
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
I would say that these two are the most scenic routes in the Amtrak system. The Coast Starlight's highlight is the 113 miles of coastal scenery in southern California. The routing is best in the spring, when the hillsides are green. North of the Oregon line, you have forests, lakes, and rivers, and an occasional sighting of peaks in the Cascades.

The California Zephyr between EMY and DEN includes two scenic daylight segments: the respective crossings of the Sierras and the Rockies, plus the canyon country of western Colorado. Any time of year is fine on this route.

You should be able to travel LAX-DEN or DEN-SEA on a single award using a combination of both routes.
Thank you! Would mid-May still be considered Spring for the Coast Starlight? I thought I couldn't go DEN-LAX and then LAX-SEA on one trip. That would be ideal.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
I thought I couldn't go DEN-LAX and then LAX-SEA on one trip. That would be ideal.
You can't do that on one award. That would require two awards to go to LA and then back north.

But by transferring at Sacramento you can do LAX-SAC-DEN on one award, or;
SEA-SAC-DEN on one award.

Those same two trips can be done in reverse too if you prefer.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you! How does that compare with LAX-SEA? or even LAX-Portland-heading west on Empire builder?

I had read the ocean views were more LAX - SFO and if I went DEN-SAC-SEA, I would sacrifice that...yes?

Really wish I had transferred 25Kx2 to do 2 trips...
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Probably too little, too late, but my 2 cents:

The oceanfront portion of the Coast Starlight is between San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara, which is also served by local Pacific Surfliners. As a bonus, the Surfliners also go oceanfront between San Juan Capistrano and Oceanside, on the way to Santa Barbara. So, I would have considered the 1-zone Denver to Sacramento to either Seattle-Vancouver BC, or Portland-Spokane/Glacier/Montana., then do a separate 1500 point coach San Luis Obispo to San Diego as a separate day trip. The Denver-Sacramento-Seattle plus unreserved Surfliner is how the last points in my AGR account were used. (Having been on the EB Montana-Portland before, having visited Vancouver BC before, and being a little time constrained, we opted for Seattle then a flight home).
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
The oceanfront portion of the Coast Starlight is between San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara, which is also served by local Pacific Surfliners. As a bonus, the Surfliners also go oceanfront between San Juan Capistrano and Oceanside, on the way to Santa Barbara. So, I would have considered the 1-zone Denver to Sacramento to either Seattle-Vancouver BC, or Portland-Spokane/Glacier/Montana., then do a separate 1500 point coach San Luis Obispo to San Diego as a separate day trip.
That sounds like you're quoting a "Special Route" fare. I thought those didn't exist since Jan 24?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
SLO-San Diego is only 2105 points and SLO-LAX is 1415 points. This is one instance where the special route fare was not that great a deal. I occasionally take LA-Ventura trips for thrifting and will burn my points instead of paying cash or driving.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:47 am

Mid-May should still be a good time to see green hills, although it appears that winter in California ended this year right around January 1, perhaps 20 days after it began, and we are well into spring now in much of the state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.