Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No freeform comments on an Amtrak satisfaction survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]

I did my one (and based on the experience, probably only) Amtrak trip as a "bucket list" thing a few weeks ago, taking the California Zephyr from Denver to Sacramento to see the great canyons and beauty of the Rockies and Sierra Nevadas. Booked a sleeper.

Pretty much all I can say is "meh." Service onboard the train was mediocre at best. I had perhaps two conversations with the porter onboard, and I had to seek him out to get the sleeper set up at 9 PM for the overnight leg. No offers to bring food to me, as one example. (He missed out on some good tips.) Heat in the sleeper stopped about halfway through the trip and was never fixed.

Now, some three weeks later, comes an invite from Amtrak to fill out a survey. But it's 100% fill-in-the-bubble. No allowance for freeform comments whatsoever.

That, to me, is a good indication that Amtrak is doing their surveys out of a sense of obligation, not out of any sense of actually wanting to see what's going on out there on the rails.

Too bad. And now that this item is off my bucket list, I don't see any compelling reason to ever consider Amtrak again for any kind of trip.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I agree that lack of freeform comments are a problem on those surveys. I suspect that allowing those comments would significantly drive up the cost of processing them, so there may be some bean-counter factors at play.

All that said, there are plenty of ways to contact Amtrak via traditional means or via social media. It's not that hard to let them know your thoughts about a particular experience.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I did my one (and based on the experience, probably only) Amtrak trip as a "bucket list" thing a few weeks ago, taking the California Zephyr from Denver to Sacramento to see the great canyons and beauty of the Rockies and Sierra Nevadas. Booked a sleeper.

Pretty much all I can say is "meh." Service onboard the train was mediocre at best. I had perhaps two conversations with the porter onboard, and I had to seek him out to get the sleeper set up at 9 PM for the overnight leg. No offers to bring food to me, as one example. (He missed out on some good tips.) Heat in the sleeper stopped about halfway through the trip and was never fixed.

Now, some three weeks later, comes an invite from Amtrak to fill out a survey. But it's 100% fill-in-the-bubble. No allowance for freeform comments whatsoever.

That, to me, is a good indication that Amtrak is doing their surveys out of a sense of obligation, not out of any sense of actually wanting to see what's going on out there on the rails.

Too bad. And now that this item is off my bucket list, I don't see any compelling reason to ever consider Amtrak again for any kind of trip.
No excuses for the broken heat or the 9pm sleeper setup, but after more than half a dozen sleeper trips I can tell you that even the good attendants won't likely offer to bring you you food (though they will oblige when asked).

Hopefully you enjoyed the scenery, the mountains and canyons, though. It's a great trip.

(And, to be honest, dinner in the sleeper is kind of a drag. )
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by nerd
No excuses for the broken heat or the 9pm sleeper setup, but after more than half a dozen sleeper trips I can tell you that even the good attendants won't likely offer to bring you you food (though they will oblige when asked).
I mentioned this only because I could hear rather long conversations from the adjacent sleeper with the porter and two ladies, chatting them up for 15 minutes at a time, including "oh, I can bring that for you - just tell me what you'd like." @:-)

The scenery was indeed wonderful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.