Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake fares?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Mistake fares?

Do these ever happen? I'm trying to figure out how to hack Amtrak for a cross country trip next year. Loads of time and guessing hot deals will be best bet, but if there's a place to look for this, where would it be? Here? Any history?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never seen a report of a mistake fare.

Good luck with your "hack"!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold
no, I haven't heard anything. For mistake fares just look at the airlines .
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:38 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
The best tool I've seen for looking at large groups of dates at one time is called "Amsnag" - http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

That said, I've not heard of mistake fares either, but sometimes you might be able to get a full size bedroom for nearly the same price or cheaper than a roomette if you happen to catch the buckets right.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by lo2e
The best tool I've seen for looking at large groups of dates at one time is called "Amsnag" - http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php
Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
The closest thing to a "mistake fare" would probably be how under the soon-to-be-overhauled AGR program, people used to concoct "circle" trips that passed through multiple zones but were only charged one zone because of where their trip began/ended. Most of those loopholes were eliminated a few years ago. And the whole zone system will be gone as of next year.

As far as true "mistake fares", like others I have never heard of one on Amtrak. Unlike air fares, which seem to change constantly, most Amtrak fares follow a fairly standard bucket system, which means Amtrak programmers are not constantly entering new fares into the system, which is how most airline mistake fares seem to be generated.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

While I have likewise never heard of "mistake" fares on Amtrak, do not overlook the possibility of "point-beyond" ("hidden city") fares. In the past, I have occasionally found NYP-ALX fares on long-distance trains (that do not carry passengers locally between NYP and WAS) that were lower than NYP-WAS fares on the Regionals.

As far as I know, Amtrak tariffs do not prohibit a passenger's use of point-beyond fares for travel to an intermediate point along the ticketed route. (Just don't check any baggage. )
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA, AS
I noticed this a while back. Definitely a mistake, although not something that can be taken advantage of. If only it would've priced like a regular Northeast Regional ticket.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...a-chicago.html
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

While I have likewise never heard of "mistake" fares on Amtrak, do not overlook the possibility of "point-beyond" ("hidden city") fares. In the past, I have occasionally found NYP-ALX fares on long-distance trains (that do not carry passengers locally between NYP and WAS) that were lower than NYP-WAS fares on the Regionals.

As far as I know, Amtrak tariffs do not prohibit a passenger's use of point-beyond fares for travel to an intermediate point along the ticketed route. (Just don't check any baggage. )
In a given bucket (A/B/C/D/E), is NYP-ALX actually cheaper than NYP-WAS? Or is it just that at the time you were looking, the long-distance train was selling at low bucket and the Regional was fuller and selling at a higher bucket?

FWIW, I just checked 10/5/16 and NYP-WAS is selling at $53 and NYP-ALX is selling at $68, and I assume that far out, both are selling at low (A) bucket, so it should be an apples-to-apples comparison.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by jackal

In a given bucket (A/B/C/D/E), is NYP-ALX actually cheaper than NYP-WAS? Or is it just that at the time you were looking, the long-distance train was selling at low bucket and the Regional was fuller and selling at a higher bucket?

FWIW, I just checked 10/5/16 and NYP-WAS is selling at $53 and NYP-ALX is selling at $68, and I assume that far out, both are selling at low (A) bucket, so it should be an apples-to-apples comparison.
Yes, I expect that the long-distance train had a lower fare bucket than the Regionals. But if one never bothered to search for NYP-ALX, the lower-fare option would not have been discovered, as NYP-WAS is not sold on the long-distance trains.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak

This is true. But for the novice rider, don't try this in the opposite direction. With e-ticketing, if you're a no-show you run the danger of having your ticket canceled. Granted, this is unlikely to happen during the short distance between ALX-WAS. But if you use this particular "hack" then you would probably just be better off in actually boarding in ALX (easily accessible via the Metro).
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
This is true. But for the novice rider, don't try this in the opposite direction. With e-ticketing, if you're a no-show you run the danger of having your ticket canceled. Granted, this is unlikely to happen during the short distance between ALX-WAS. But if you use this particular "hack" then you would probably just be better off in actually boarding in ALX (easily accessible via the Metro).
Not to mention that accessing the platform in WAS may be a challenge for trains that are discharge only there (most long-distance trains). Not impossible, but you have to know what you're doing (and look confident doing it if there are any employees around).
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:10 pm

Hi -

I did not see this thread so I posted a ticket I bought on amtrak.com. I bought a ticket between two points over 200 miles apart. $1.00 on the way out, $0.90 on the way back ( I remembered to ask for my AAA discount!).

Sure sounds like a mistake fare to me. I have a paper copy of my ticket.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Sorry, was away from internet a while. Where was that ticket???

Thanks all for the amsnag and hidden ticket ideas. I'll mess with these in following months.
I, for some reason, have a perverse desire to end my RTW trip by hiking the AT and then going by land to Colorado (a wedding) and maybe to the NW after (haven't decided where to live yet) as cheap as possible. Whilst it would be stupid cheaper to do mega buses for $1 etc I think I don't want to punish myself that badly. Another interesting option would be to go by Via Rail but I'm guessing it's a similar story to Amtrak.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daichovo
Sorry, was away from internet a while. Where was that ticket???
Discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...ake-fares.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.