Wiki Posts
Search

Tourist Trip Boston-NY-DC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Plat, BAEC Blue
Tourist Trip Boston-NY-DC

Looking for some advice. Currently have a holiday trip with my girlfriend booked in March flying to Boston from Edinburgh and returning two weeks later from Washington. Plans are to spend a few days in each of Boston, New York and and DC, and thinking Amtrak Acela Express would be the most stress free way to do this. However, prices are very steep even for business class, and would like to treat ourselves to First if we can. The NY to DC leg seems to already be filling up judging by pricing across various times. When is the best time to buy? Are there likely to be offers nearer the time, or should I just buy tickets now before it gets even more expensive? DC and NY hotels are already booked so my dates are now pretty fixed.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: AGR
Acela is overpriced because it is popular. Acela specials are rare. Please buy the tickets now before they increase in price with demand. Mid day Acela prices usually are the last too increase with demand pricing. The larger windows allow a better view between Boston and New York along the coast. The route between New York and Washington is less scenic. There is free bus service between the airport and Boston South Station on the MBTA"T" Silver Line "SL1"route.

Last edited by dicksboat; Nov 2, 2015 at 6:37 am Reason: addition
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
In my experience, Acela prices have never gotten cheaper as you get closer to travel. And the first class experience is very nice if you don't mind spending the extra money. The most expensive tickets tend to be morning and afternoon, with mid-day being cheaper.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Plat, BAEC Blue
OK. Thanks for that. In the UK the cheaper demand-priced rail tickets only become available from about 12 weeks prior to the journey, then obviously start to sell out. I was wondering if something similar happened with Amtrak which would therefore create a "sweet spot" for booking.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
As was said, the mid-day Trains tend to be less crowded and are not as expensive!

I suggest you ride Acela FC from.Boston South Station ( BOS)to New York ( NYP), then switch to a Regional Train from NYP to Washington, ( WAS) it will be quite a bit cheaper, in some cases there are $52 Saver Fares between NYP and WAS. Business Class on Regionals ( note that Business Class on Acela is actually Acela Coach) generally isn't worth the Upgrade Charge.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dicksboat
Acela is overpriced because it is popular.
Not really "overpriced" if people are willing to pay the fare.

Anyway, OP, for a leisure trip there really is no need for Acela, IMO. You would probably be fine sticking with the Northeast Regional services. Slightly slower, but cheaper and should be good enough unless you are in a real hurry. I only do Acela if my employer is paying.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I would recommend trying Acela First from Boston-New York. You'll get free access to Amtrak's best lounge in Boston (the Club Acela)and a great choice of seats out of South Station (I would avoid using the Back Bay station as it's a run down lousy commuter station). First Class on the Acela is great for 2 people, you can get 2 seats facing each other with a table in the middle. Definately a huge selling point in my opinion. You'll also get a beautiful view sitting on the left hand side of the train.

For New York-DC, the Acela commands a much higher pricing premium. I think the Regional service will serve you well on this segment and the Regional doesn't take that much longer than the Acela on this segment. I also recommend finding a Red Cap to take you down to the train at NY Penn, the place is a nightmare to navigate if you've never used it before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.