Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Speculative award bookings in advance of revenue-based redemption changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

What are Amtrak's rules for changing award tickets?

I will likely make a few northeast corridor trips in 2016, but I can't predict the dates (and, to some degree, not the end points). I'm wondering if it makes sense to do make some speculative bookings, not knowing when I'll really want to use the tickets.

I typically travel in the northeast corridor, where the current 4k price is very tempting, but most trains on my routes are all-reserved. And I'm typically transferring points in from Chase Ultimate Rewards, which is what I would have to do for these tickets.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
As far as I am aware, changing an award ticket basically means redepositing the points and making a new award reservation. So there is no point to making speculative bookings unless there is some reasonable chance that you'll actually take the booked trip.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:45 am

A couple of things come to mind:

a. Some of those bookings may actually cost fewer points after the change to the new program.

b. They will cost 4,000 points today and they will cost 4,000 points January 15th. Why book now before you know? They may be all reserved but other than around Thanksgiving, I have never seen a train sell out.

I would absolutely move the points in from CUR while you still can, but as for booking now, not sure what the advantage is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.