Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acela FC has gone downhill

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Acela FC has gone downhill

Was a monthly Acela rider with Select+ status for years, but with a territory change last year stopped taking trains and flew instead the last 18 months

First Acela ride today since then, used a coupon did the NYP to RTE return home tonight.

Pre dinner nuts were in a bag, not that ceramic bowl.

Cocktails served in plastic not glass.

Service was not bad, but had to wave an attendant down to get a second cocktail. They did not come through offering a second drink service at all.

Worst of all, one attendant plopped down in seat across from me and took a nap for 15 to 20 minutes. It's train 2138 and 8:15 in the evening so not that late. He got up right before PCD to get his tip though. Even his coworker came by and nudged him, he still declined to get up.

Haven't seen a napping attendant in years, was really common on morning trains back in the early Acela days when I had to wake them up for a second cup of coffee

Anyway, was kind of sad to see the erosion in service levels. Not sure why I'm telling you all, maybe it's the cocktails 😊

Mike
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by flyingmike
Was a monthly Acela rider with Select+ status for years, but with a territory change last year stopped taking trains and flew instead the last 18 months

First Acela ride today since then, used a coupon did the NYP to RTE return home tonight.

Pre dinner nuts were in a bag, not that ceramic bowl.

Cocktails served in plastic not glass.

Service was not bad, but had to wave an attendant down to get a second cocktail. They did not come through offering a second drink service at all.

Worst of all, one attendant plopped down in seat across from me and took a nap for 15 to 20 minutes. It's train 2138 and 8:15 in the evening so not that late. He got up right before PCD to get his tip though. Even his coworker came by and nudged him, he still declined to get up.

Haven't seen a napping attendant in years, was really common on morning trains back in the early Acela days when I had to wake them up for a second cup of coffee

Anyway, was kind of sad to see the erosion in service levels. Not sure why I'm telling you all, maybe it's the cocktails 😊

Mike
This sounds WAY too familiar. I always found the Acela to be overblown (give me the Meteor any day) but I had a lousy experience on it last month. It was the 0500 out of WAS and the service was crap. Then again, on that trip I got to experience almost all of Amtrak's "service innovations" and...let's just say that comments made elsewhere about picking airlines come to mind.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
This is disappointing, especially @ the Skyhigh Fares Amtrak is charging on these very popular trains.

But its in line with all of the nickel and dime cuts that are occuring on all Amtrak Trains,

Hopefully you'll contact Customer Relations and let them know about these Slackers so they can be re-trained or de-trained!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jimhudson
re-trained or de-trained!
Ha! LOL
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
I have to agree. I was on the sold out 2168 to NYP last night. "Pathetic" is the word that comes to mind regarding service.

Nuts in bag...check...also had to request them TWICE were not automatically served with the cocktail!!!

Cocktail in a plastic glass...check...literally had to beg for the second one and that too the attendant got it wrong!!!

They were in a hurry to clear my meal since I was asked twice whether I was done even when I was still chewing my food!!!

Of course both the attendants stood outside with their hand stretched for tips as we de-trained at NYP.

It's a sad state of affairs at Amtrak!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jimhudson
This is disappointing, especially @ the Skyhigh Fares Amtrak is charging on these very popular trains.

But its in line with all of the nickel and dime cuts that are occuring on all Amtrak Trains,

Hopefully you'll contact Customer Relations and let them know about these Slackers so they can be re-trained or de-trained!
I say unless they start de-training you won't see any progress. Training only goes so far but if you don't enforce the policies and the union prevails...service is bound to suffer!

So yes it's about time to de-train bad employees! It's way past training stage!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'll say that I don't take the plastic-vs-glass cups as an insult. Mildly annoying, but not an insult. However, the obvious degradation in service in other respects is an issue.

One thought that comes to mind is that there might have been some sort of directive to not offer additional drinks (maybe a memo) but to give them if asked. Still, there does seem to be a pattern emerging here of generally obnoxious service.

The only excuse (and it's a lousy one at that) for the "rushed" service on 2168 is if they were trying to deal with pax who had boarded at WAS/BAL before PHL (when I know there's a large slug of boardings...IIRC, PHL-NYP is second only to WAS-NYP in terms of boardings).

One thought, for those whose schedules permit: If you're looking at FC, consider train 19 or 97, booked through to Alexandria, as an alternative to trains 2161/2163/2165 booked to Washington (nothing prevents you from either deboarding at WAS or simply catching the Metro back into town). 19 and 97 have full meal service and from what I can tell, private rooms are often far cheaper than Acela First (and frankly work better as workspaces). The only downside is that you need a hotspot.

I'd recommend train 91 as well...there's no diner but the private room option is still there and it's going to almost always be substantially cheaper than FC on 2155.

And finally, if we wanted to add a bit of insult to injury...it looks like Acela prices got another bump in the last day or two: The base NYP-WAS fare for BC on the Acela went up from $158 to $160 and I suspect FC went up alongside it.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Oct 2, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Terrible service this past Wednesday, but I tipped anyway. Shame on me. Won't in the future. Drink, bag of nuts, and meal came at same time. Was not once asked if I wanted another drink.

Last edited by vatraveler; Oct 3, 2015 at 1:27 pm
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Make sure that you drop a line to Amtrak each time this happens. Service fails such as plastic aren't the attendants' fault and should not affect their tip. It's also fine for one attendant to take a break (it's 8+ hours WAS-BOS) once the main service is done, but topping up drinks has to be done by the other attendant and, if it gets busy, wakey-wakey.

Amtrak charges a significant premium for F and is cutting back the service. They did this once before (one attendant, no hot meals) during the recession and the result was empty F cars. That's going to happen again. There is a lot of demand for paid F, but people want value too and Acela J is hardly uncomfortable.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:57 pm

I do not take Acela F often (fewer than a dozen times in the last 5 years) and I only have ridden in F when a friend/colleague offered an upgrade coupon to me.

On my last trip in F (about 6 months ago), I tipped the attendant $5 when he brought my first drink, thinking it may bring on better service for the rest of the trip from NYP to WAS. I'll put it this way....he wouldn't "leave me alone" the entire ride, meaning my glass was never empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.