Componion coupon clarification

Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak
Componion coupon clarification

Another Amtrak forum has been batting around a question regarding the companion coupon that comes with the new credit card. Specifically, what does
Offer valid for Coach class travel only. Upgrade to Business class or First class (excluding sleeping car accommodations) is available upon full payment of applicable accommodation charges.
I recently was speaking to a customer relations agent about another matter and finished up by translating the above into straight English:

If I pay one rail fare + roomette charge, can I use the companion coupon that came with the new AGR credit card to pay for my wife's rail fare and put her in the sleeper. The agent punted by saying she would need to have the coupon number to see what the conditions were. Since it was a hypothetical question, I let it go.

But she proceeded to say that you had to present the coupon to a station agent AND it had to be at the same time you make the reservation. The only thing I can see in the T&C regarding the timing of when you apply the coupon is

Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times.
Needless to say, the restriction she mentioned would make the coupon worthless to anyone without a staffed station in their area.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:09 pm

I don't know how Amtrak intends to distribute these credit card coupons. However, the companion coupon has been given to Select+ and Select Executive members for some time.

It used to be required that a physical coupon be surrendered at the time of the reservation to get the tickets. However, sometimes a lax agent would forget to collect the coupon and the customer could use it again.

In order to stop this and also to better assist those that may be departing from unstaffed stations, Amtrak stopped issuing physical coupons and made them electronic.

Any Guest Rewards member can login to their account and see if they have any available coupons. Each coupon has a unique # that is given to the reservation agent at the time the reservation is made.

After the reservation is processed, the coupon is automatically burned from the account and disappears. Assuming Amtrak links the AGR account with the credit card holder and distributes these coupons electronically, you should have no trouble redeeming them over the phone, without having to physically surrender a coupon.

In regards to sleeper accommodations, I don't think they will allow you to use the coupon, but it doesn't hurt to try.

However, being that coupon specifically excludes it, I would try no get your hopes up.

I'm betting the computer will err out if an agent attempts to apply it.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
I don't know how Amtrak intends to distribute these credit card coupons.
This and numerous other questions are answered in the wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...ll-2015-a.html. Or you could just go read the card offer T&C if you're feeling old-school.

Any Guest Rewards member can login to their account and see if they have any available coupons. [...] Assuming Amtrak links the AGR account with the credit card holder and distributes these coupons electronically
Bingo.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak
Yes, I now see the coupons listed in my AGR account and that you call the AGR priority number. I guess I was talking to the wrong department. But

Offer valid for Coach class travel only. Upgrade to Business class or First class (excluding sleeping car accommodations) is available upon full payment of applicable accommodation charges.
still confuses me. It appears to be cramming two separate concepts into one bullet item. I would unbundle it to something like

* Offer valid for the coach portion of companion's ticket only. If you want to upgrade to business or first class, you must pay the applicable accommodation charge.

Depending on the answer to my original question the second bullet would be something like

* Offer valid for rail portion of companion's sleeper accommodation (without an additional accommodation charge because there is none for second, third, or forth passenger).

or

*Offer not valid for rail portion of companion in a sleeper.

One problem with the way it is stated is that the first sentence is blatantly false and is contradicted by the second sentence. Also, in standard English the parenthetical expression in the second sentence implies that there are several types of first class, and that it's not including the sleeper type of first class in whatever the sentence is trying to say. But we know this can't be true because for a long time now the only type of first class is Acela. If the phrase were placed following the word "charges", would at least make grammatical sense.

My question was more than academic. With the 8000 point difference, the decision between the fee and no-fee card was a no brainer. But I'm thinking ahead to renewal. Will the 1 point difference in Amtrak points plus the coupons be worth it. If the companion coupons won't pay for the rail fare for a companion in a sleeper, they would be worthless to me. Living out here in Yahtuhnkahland, the only coach trips we take are inexpensive. The sleeper trips are where we spend the money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.