Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Beginning September 12, 2015, two new Amtrak-branded credit cards are available through Bank of America:
  • World MasterCard (20K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; $79 AF, not waived)
  • Platinum MasterCard (12K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; no AF)

Both cards offer the following benefits:
  • Earn 1 AGR point for non-Amtrak purchases
  • Earn a bonus for Amtrak ticket and on-board purchases
    • World MC earns a total of 3 AGR pts/$
    • Platinum MC earns 2 AGR pts/$
  • Receive a 5% points rebate on award redemptions for Amtrak travel
  • No forex fee on purchases outside the US
  • Your AGR points will never expire as long as you hold either card

The World MasterCard offers these additional benefits:
  • Earn 2 AGR pts/$ on non-Amtrak travel purchases
    • Per the T&C, this includes airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, resorts, and steamship/cruise lines. In cases where the merchant of record is not Amtrak, this 2pts/$ category also includes travel agencies, passenger railways, and commuter railways. (The last two were originally excluded, but are included as of 2021 or possibly earlier.)
  • Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year
    • Purchases are credited for the year of the statement on which they are billed. For an account that closes on the 20th of each month, purchases after Dec. 20 will count in the following year.
  • On account opening, receive a single-day pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges
    • Per T&C, "ClubAcela pass valid for bearer and one guest, or bearer's spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21. No same-day ticket required for use."
  • On account opening and at each anniversary renewal, receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade
    • "Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times. Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time. Travel blackout dates apply."
      • Blackout dates for 2016: Jan. 2-3; Feb. 12; Feb. 15; Mar. 24-25; Mar. 28; May 27; May 30; Jul. 1; Jul. 4; Sept. 2; Sept. 5; Oct. 10; Nov. 22-23; Nov. 26-28; Dec. 21-24; Dec. 26-30.
      • Blackout dates for 2017: Jan. 1-2; Feb. 17; Feb. 20; Apr. 13-14; Apr. 17; May 26; May 29; Sept. 1; Sept. 4; Oct. 9; Nov. 21-22; Nov. 24-27; [other dates TBD].
      "Regular (full) adult rail fare" excludes Senior/AAA/etc. discount fares. AGR Insider has asserted at one time that "full fare" includes Saver & other unrestricted fares, but two separate FTer reports indicate that Saver fares are in fact excluded.
    • "One-Class Upgrade Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, one-class upgrade. Valid only from Coach to Business class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. Travel blackout dates apply."

If my application is not instantly approved, is there a special contact number for Bank of America?
Try calling 888-221-6262 or 866-811-4108. (M-F 8am-7pm EST)

When will I receive my World MC Companion Coupon/Upgrade Coupon/ClubAcela Pass?
"Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade Coupon are available online through your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Your ClubAcela pass will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of account opening."

How soon will my AGR points post after I complete the required spend?
Bank of America transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a day or two after the end of the monthly billing cycle in which you complete the required spend.

Are these cards churnable?
TBD

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I looked at the dates on my AGR and statements - it seems that my points including bonus have been coming four to five days after statement close. I guess this is really variable..??
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:43 pm

p.s. mine just posted and it was indeed 1000 TQPs that were fresh points.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by lg10
p.s. mine just posted and it was indeed 1000 TQPs that were fresh points.
Great info! Thanks for posting.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:15 pm

I got the card around 10/20/15 and my statement closed around 11/8.

I logged in today and had around 27,000 points credited. 20,000 were for the signup bonus, 6000 were for reglular purchases and 1000 was the bonus for the TQP.

As was stated earlier, the TQP bonus counts as regular points too, so if you spend $5000 on regular purchases, you'll actually earn AT LEAST 6000 AGR points, up until the first $20,000 in purchases, at which point the TQP bonus ceases until the next calendar year.

I'm Select Plus right now, so I've already got Select status in the bag, since AGR offers a soft landing for the following year. However, if I didn't have it already, the credit card is what would allow me to earn Select status outright for next year.

The $79 fee is going to be well worth it.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
I got the card around 10/20/15 and my statement closed around 11/8.

I logged in today and had around 27,000 points credited. 20,000 were for the signup bonus, 6000 were for reglular purchases and 1000 was the bonus for the TQP.
Thanks for the update! I was inspired to check mine just in case, and my 11/9 statement just posted 29,706 points today (I checked earlier this morning, probably around 10-11am, and they weren't there). I did get the 1,000 TQP bump but based on my memory of what my balance was before, it doesn't look like they counted towards regular points, just my TQP level.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Are people still getting the 5% rebate on points redemptions if they are holders of the former Chase AGR card now, or has that stopped?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by calwatch
Are people still getting the 5% rebate on points redemptions if they are holders of the former Chase AGR card now, or has that stopped?
It has stopped. The former Chase AGR card is now a Chase Freedom card and has no connections to AGR.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Thanks for the update! I was inspired to check mine just in case, and my 11/9 statement just posted 29,706 points today (I checked earlier this morning, probably around 10-11am, and they weren't there). I did get the 1,000 TQP bump but based on my memory of what my balance was before, it doesn't look like they counted towards regular points, just my TQP level.
You're right....doesn't look like the TQP bonus counts as earned after all.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
You're right....doesn't look like the TQP bonus counts as earned after all.
Mine definitely did post as earned also. However, this wouldn't be the first time if they made an error and will take them away...
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lg10
I looked at the dates on my AGR and statements - it seems that my points including bonus have been coming four to five days after statement close. I guess this is really variable..??
My first set of points just posted 4 days after statement close. ^
Unfortunately was just shy of 1000 so the bonus did not post
But hopefully it will post next month at the same time, so I will be able to book my sleeper car before the old chart goes kaput.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
Finally got around to adding my World Card to Apple Pay, disappointed that it loaded with generic BOA card design rather than the AGR card design.

On the brighter side at least it loaded into Apple Pay, couldnt say that about the Chase AGR card.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

I've had three sets of points post since applying which were more than enough for the $1000 spend but I have NOT gotten my bonus. Guess it's time to call.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by christianj
I've had three sets of points post since applying which were more than enough for the $1000 spend but I have NOT gotten my bonus. Guess it's time to call.
How close to your most recent statement date was the purchase that put you over the line?

With some card issuers cough*Chase*cough, you have to wait an extra cycle if the crucial spend occurs late in a statement period. Perhaps BofA has similar practices.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
Originally Posted by beltway
How close to your most recent statement date was the purchase that put you over the line?

With some card issuers cough*Chase*cough, you have to wait an extra cycle if the crucial spend occurs late in a statement period. Perhaps BofA has similar practices.
I actually finished my own $1,000 spend a week prior to my closing date October 8. I got the notice on my statement that the full 20k had posted, and here almost 9 weeks out I still have none. My November 8 statement closed and no points. Now we're getting to December and it's absurd that it would take two full statements to pass before any of my points post (no bonus or spend points appeared). The agents in the past told me to wait 6-8 weeks before they would open up a case, this is getting ridiculous and I'm going to follow up.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by LordByran
I actually finished my own $1,000 spend a week prior to my closing date October 8. I got the notice on my statement that the full 20k had posted, and here almost 9 weeks out I still have none. My November 8 statement closed and no points. Now we're getting to December and it's absurd that it would take two full statements to pass before any of my points post (no bonus or spend points appeared). The agents in the past told me to wait 6-8 weeks before they would open up a case, this is getting ridiculous and I'm going to follow up.
There's definitely an account-specific problem in that case. My DW's billing cycle closed yesterday and the bonus is in her AGR account already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.