Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Beginning September 12, 2015, two new Amtrak-branded credit cards are available through Bank of America:
  • World MasterCard (20K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; $79 AF, not waived)
  • Platinum MasterCard (12K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; no AF)

Both cards offer the following benefits:
  • Earn 1 AGR point for non-Amtrak purchases
  • Earn a bonus for Amtrak ticket and on-board purchases
    • World MC earns a total of 3 AGR pts/$
    • Platinum MC earns 2 AGR pts/$
  • Receive a 5% points rebate on award redemptions for Amtrak travel
  • No forex fee on purchases outside the US
  • Your AGR points will never expire as long as you hold either card

The World MasterCard offers these additional benefits:
  • Earn 2 AGR pts/$ on non-Amtrak travel purchases
    • Per the T&C, this includes airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, resorts, and steamship/cruise lines. In cases where the merchant of record is not Amtrak, this 2pts/$ category also includes travel agencies, passenger railways, and commuter railways. (The last two were originally excluded, but are included as of 2021 or possibly earlier.)
  • Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year
    • Purchases are credited for the year of the statement on which they are billed. For an account that closes on the 20th of each month, purchases after Dec. 20 will count in the following year.
  • On account opening, receive a single-day pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges
    • Per T&C, "ClubAcela pass valid for bearer and one guest, or bearer's spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21. No same-day ticket required for use."
  • On account opening and at each anniversary renewal, receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade
    • "Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times. Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time. Travel blackout dates apply."
      • Blackout dates for 2016: Jan. 2-3; Feb. 12; Feb. 15; Mar. 24-25; Mar. 28; May 27; May 30; Jul. 1; Jul. 4; Sept. 2; Sept. 5; Oct. 10; Nov. 22-23; Nov. 26-28; Dec. 21-24; Dec. 26-30.
      • Blackout dates for 2017: Jan. 1-2; Feb. 17; Feb. 20; Apr. 13-14; Apr. 17; May 26; May 29; Sept. 1; Sept. 4; Oct. 9; Nov. 21-22; Nov. 24-27; [other dates TBD].
      "Regular (full) adult rail fare" excludes Senior/AAA/etc. discount fares. AGR Insider has asserted at one time that "full fare" includes Saver & other unrestricted fares, but two separate FTer reports indicate that Saver fares are in fact excluded.
    • "One-Class Upgrade Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, one-class upgrade. Valid only from Coach to Business class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. Travel blackout dates apply."

If my application is not instantly approved, is there a special contact number for Bank of America?
Try calling 888-221-6262 or 866-811-4108. (M-F 8am-7pm EST)

When will I receive my World MC Companion Coupon/Upgrade Coupon/ClubAcela Pass?
"Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade Coupon are available online through your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Your ClubAcela pass will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of account opening."

How soon will my AGR points post after I complete the required spend?
Bank of America transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a day or two after the end of the monthly billing cycle in which you complete the required spend.

Are these cards churnable?
TBD

Print Wikipost

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:19 pm

After many phone calls and time on hold trying to transfer an old account I had with BOA that I had not used in years a AAA card, I finally got approved from a senior manager. To my surprise, the upgrade & companion coupon are already in my account
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Does anyone know if BofA does product upgrades? If I already have a credit card with BofA, would they let me upgrade or change to a different card?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
Does anyone know if BofA does product upgrades? If I already have a credit card with BofA, would they let me upgrade or change to a different card?
For product downgrades/crossgrades: In some cases (of card X to card Y) yes, in other cases no. (I don't remember people mentioning upgrades before, if by upgrades you mean from a no-AF card to an AF card, but I presume the answer is similarly YMMV at least.) So you probably have to ask them, with specifics, to find out if it's possible in the specific case you're interested in.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
And, be aware that upgrading or changing a card to a different card may not come with whatever bonus is being offered for the new card. The bonus for a new BOA AGR card is significant.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Did the post just prior to yours by OZ not answer your question?

Originally Posted by OZ Man
After many phone calls and time on hold trying to transfer an old account I had with BOA that I had not used in years a AAA card, I finally got approved from a senior manager. To my surprise, the upgrade & companion coupon are already in my account
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I asked about the conversion thing. The response I got was that you can exchange a no-fee card for a no-fee card but since switching to a fee card would "adversely affect" me I can't ask to switch a no-fee card into a fee card.

Now, I do understand the issue of not being able to do that swap involuntarily, but if it is voluntary and requested by the customer then I really don't see where the problem is. But it's BOA...*sigh*
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I asked about the conversion thing. The response I got was that you can exchange a no-fee card for a no-fee card but since switching to a fee card would "adversely affect" me I can't ask to switch a no-fee card into a fee card.

Now, I do understand the issue of not being able to do that swap involuntarily, but if it is voluntary and requested by the customer then I really don't see where the problem is. But it's BOA...*sigh*
The "fair credit act" prevents this for the first year. After you hold a card for a year there is no restriction from the gov't.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:24 pm

Have we determined what the restrictions / qualifications for transferring Amtrak points to Choice Hotels are now? When I go to the redeem for hotels portion now it still references Chase cards and the old qualifications.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson

I dont think that is universally true with BOA.

BOA is not allowing any accounts to be product changed to the AGR. You could move some credit limit from another BOA card regardless if it has an annual fee or not.

BOA also generally only lets their 3-2-1 rewards card, bank americard, and travel rewards be the only 3 that can be switched around, secured or not. The Better Balance Rewards is also unable to be PC'd for a few months or more now.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by jfriend33
I dont think that is universally true with BOA.

BOA is not allowing any accounts to be product changed to the AGR. You could move some credit limit from another BOA card regardless if it has an annual fee or not.

BOA also generally only lets their 3-2-1 rewards card, bank americard, and travel rewards be the only 3 that can be switched around, secured or not. The Better Balance Rewards is also unable to be PC'd for a few months or more now.
Actually, I was told I could switch to the "lower" AGR card, just not the "higher" one. I was also told I could NOT switch to either of the VS cards.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Sep 20, 2015 at 3:52 pm Reason: Added key "not"
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xTheLordx
Have we determined what the restrictions / qualifications for transferring Amtrak points to Choice Hotels are now? When I go to the redeem for hotels portion now it still references Chase cards and the old qualifications.
Well, the Chase card still exists for 10.5 more days (for those who already had it as of earlier this year).

No, so, yes, we have determined what they are now. What we haven't determined is what they will be after September 30.

There is an indication (but not from AGR themsevles) that the AF version of the new BofA card will allow such transfers with $20k of spend (on anything) in a calendar year.

But whether that will be the only method (outside of getting status) or not, we don't know yet, because the previous method was documented only at the AGR end, not the credit card end, and AGR itself has not updated that yet (or given any indication in any other way).

And I suspect they won't update it at least until the Chase card official dies, ie after September 30.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, the Chase card still exists for 10.5 more days (for those who already had it as of earlier this year).

No, so, yes, we have determined what they are now. What we haven't determined is what they will be after September 30.

There is an indication (but not from AGR themsevles) that the AF version of the new BofA card will allow such transfers with $20k of spend (on anything) in a calendar year.

But whether that will be the only method (outside of getting status) or not, we don't know yet, because the previous method was documented only at the AGR end, not the credit card end, and AGR itself has not updated that yet (or given any indication in any other way).

And I suspect they won't update it at least until the Chase card official dies, ie after September 30.
Ah, I wasn't aware the Chase card wasn't dead yet. Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
anyone have an idea if chase will continue to allow pts transfers to AGR?

my feeling is that yes, they will still allow it... but for how much longer?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by odin99
anyone have an idea if chase will continue to allow pts transfers to AGR?

my feeling is that yes, they will still allow it... but for how much longer?
Hashed and re-hashed above. Bottom line: as of now, we don't know. Nobody authoritative at Chase or AGR is talking. We don't even know if any decision has been made. And we don't know whether the BOA/AGR contract would preclude this. We do know that Chase is still allowing UR transfers to at least one program that is under contract with BOA for a credit card: Virgin Atlantic.

Somewhere earlier in this thread the AGR Insider posted that until further notice, you can transfer UR points to AGR. What form the further notice will take and whether the notice will allow a grace period to complete transfers, we don't know. Some folks have already transferred a bunch of points and are happy. Others transferred points before the new AGR program was announced and, to their dismay, are unhappy.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:52 pm

I just want to know why even Amtrak wont answer my question. If regular AGR members earn 2 points per dollar spent, and the AGR World Mastercard $79 AF earns 3 points per dollar spent on amtrak travel, does that mean its 5 points per dollar spent total?

That has to be right?? Otherwise the no annual fee card would only give a person the same number of points as a plain AGR membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.