Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Northeast Regional - Limit on Business Class Beverages?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium

I'm on NE Regional #166 tonight traveling STM - BBY, on a Business Class fare. I swing by the café car for a food and beverage order. My ask on the beverages is two diet pepsis and one bottled water. I'm told by the café attendant that he'll give me an exception this time, but that Business Class customers are limited to one complementary beverage.

I'm an on again / off again frequent traveler to Boston for business, so have traveled this route pretty extensively. This is the first time I've ever heard the rule. Has anyone else run into this?

For reference, these are mini-cans that I'm referring to here. The diet pepsis are 7.5 oz and the water 8 oz, so roughly 1/2 a standard can. 166 tonight is 3 hr 5 min, I don't think drinking a standard size soda and a glass of water is unreasonable. Would seem more of a strange restriction for those who are traveling more long distance on the route.
Old May 10, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
I've had cafe car attendants limit me to 2 beverages per trip to the cafe, but told me that I can come back later if I'm still thirsty.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: AGR
The "exception this time" statement is common, perhaps to entice a tip.. I usually look at the offered mini-can and say "I'm a big guy. Is that all I get for my $35 BC charge ? That usually has resulted in a second can.
Old May 11, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I usually ask if I could have a second one to save me a second trip, and have never been turned down.

However, I did realize that it's quite open to abuse. Someone could book Business, get free drinks, then hand them to their buddies in Coach. Of course, there's no way to prevent anyone from doing this with one beverage at a time, but I'd be surprised if it didn't happen.

Also, I tip the guy a dollar or two every time I visit for a free drink, so that might help too.
Old May 11, 2015, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is solved with a picture of a President.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:22 am

I make sure to tip $1-2. I feel then you can get the limit which seems to be 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.