Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Glass Wine Glasses on Amtrak

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
dilanesp, I'm not understanding your angle here. Slurs against railfans and baseless insults against NARP do not refute the facts: Long-distance trains account for a small fraction of Amtrak's capital budget and, despite their lower absolute ridership and higher operating costs, yield nearly half of the system's actual passenger-miles.

Without sleepers and food service, they would essentially be buses on rails. In a somewhat dated but still relevant analysis of the Empire Builder by the Midwest HSR group (which knows that you need a robust network to feed corridors), Amtrak's own spokesperson puts paid to the notion that outside groups are somehow engaging in hocus-pocus. Direct quote:

The disproportionate revenue impact of sleeper passengers "effectively refutes the argument you sometimes hear that Amtrak shouldn't be operating trains for so-called ‘wealthy leisure travelers'. The first-class travelers make train travel possible for the coach passengers. I'd call that a good deal. The airlines use the same economics to keep their coach fares reasonable."

You should also read up on URPA. They frequently take NARP to task for supposedly not defending long-distance trains enough. URPA's studies are based in the premise that Amtrak vastly understates the national network's potential and overstates its losses by distributing fixed overhead that's mostly concentrated in the Northeast Corridor. The fewer national-network routes there are (especially those with sleepers), the greater the losses.

These discussions about which group prefers which amenities are a foolish distraction from what should be the real conversation: How to expand trains and rail transit in appropriate context across the country.

If you have any substantive disagreements that you'd rather not share in public, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, this forum is known on FT for its supreme comity, a place where everyone is welcome to civil discussion and disagreements.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:43 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by dilanesp
The NARP is the foamers/railfans' lobby, and their mission is to promote the sleepers and diners that their constituents like.
I'm well aware of what NARP is, and there mission isn't to promote sleepers & diners. Their mission is to promote trains; all trains, not just Amtrak.

And part of that is that they take publicly released data from Amtrak and "study" it (really, that's the wrong word-- more like "process" it or something) in ways that produce pro-sleeper and diner arguments.
And they didn't just take casual data release from Amtrak. It was targeted data requested by Congress via the GAO. And the numbers were quite simple; no slight of hand was needed to make things look all nice and rosy for the sleepers. Diners weren't considered in the report.

The key point in my post is the last one-- Amtrak is not run by the NARP, and Amtrak's board knows the real numbers. They basically ignore the NARP's "studies" (as would, by the way, almost any corporate Board of Directors would ignore the "studies" of an activist group with an agenda which knows less than they do about the actual profitability of the company).
Amtrak's board doesn't ignore these things when they land on the desk of our Congress people. And seeing as how no critics from Congress challenged the numbers and no one from Amtrak stood in front of Congress to refute the numbers; I'd say that makes the number accurate.

Amtrak cuts these sorts of things because the real numbers say that sleepers and diners soak up the bulk of Amtrak's subsidies and are enormously unprofitable. If sleepers and diners were profitable, or even if they covered marginal cost, you wouldn't see this sort of thing; Amtrak would instead be expanding luxury sleeper and diner services to generate profits on the margin.
Amtrak cuts these things because it has 500+ micro managers in Congress who demand that they cut these things, without regard to the actual realities of the situation.

And again, the study never said that the sleeper made a profit. Only that they covered their above the rails costs. That means linens, salary of the attendant, coffee, juice, and the other amenities provided. Diners are not part of the discussion.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I assume this doesn't include Acela first class!
I can confirm this does NOT include Acela first. You are still given a proper wine glass.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:40 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I can confirm this does NOT include Acela first. You are still given a proper wine glass.
Actually I have seen a wine glass in Acela FC for a very long time. Most attendants seem to serve the wine in a glass tumbler meant more for mixed drinks. Not sure if that's because the wine glasses are gone or if it's just because the tumbler holds more and cuts down on the need for refills. Could also be that the tumbler is more stable than the Acela wine glasses are.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by AlanB
Actually I have seen a wine glass in Acela FC for a very long time. Most attendants seem to serve the wine in a glass tumbler meant more for mixed drinks. Not sure if that's because the wine glasses are gone or if it's just because the tumbler holds more and cuts down on the need for refills. Could also be that the tumbler is more stable than the Acela wine glasses are.
Ah yes, the tumblers are still here, not long stem glasses. Just was clarifying that there are no plastic cups here

I prefer the tumbler and wonder if it's because of the stability issue - I've never had an issue with the tumbler when leaving to go the bathroom- although I'm always worried I'm going to come back to spilled wine everywhere
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
The Acela first class tumblers are much more stable than a stem glass. Also, they are much cheaper in the long run, because they break much less frequently than stem glasses.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Ah yes, the tumblers are still here, not long stem glasses. Just was clarifying that there are no plastic cups here

I prefer the tumbler and wonder if it's because of the stability issue - I've never had an issue with the tumbler when leaving to go the bathroom- although I'm always worried I'm going to come back to spilled wine everywhere
I have no problem drinking wine from glass tumblers and have been recently using stemless wine glasses at home because my wife seems to break all of our nice wine glasses. I've noticed many airlines now using the stemless glasses because they are much easier to handle not spill. Wine from a glass tumbler is much preferred over a plastic wine glass.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
dilanesp, I'm not understanding your angle here. Slurs against railfans and baseless insults against NARP do not refute the facts: Long-distance trains account for a small fraction of Amtrak's capital budget and, despite their lower absolute ridership and higher operating costs, yield nearly half of the system's actual passenger-miles.
The only metric that matters is profit and loss, not "passenger miles". "Passenger miles" is a metric that is specifically designed to be dishonest (I know, that's a "slur"-- apparently correctly labeling a fatuous argument is a "slur") and favor long distance trains. Which passengers travel the greatest number of passenger miles? Long distance passengers, of course. Anyone who ever uses passenger miles with respect to any debate about Amtrak should be dismissed on the spot.

Without sleepers and food service, they would essentially be buses on rails.
Correct. This country needs buses on rails! Cheap, efficent intercity transportation for poor people. It's even worth subsidizing. I'd like to see more of them!

Meanwhile, the hobbies of retirees who love trains because they existed in their youth? Not worth once cent of taxpayer money.

you need a robust network to feed corridors
Just as dishonest as "passenger miles". All those passengers on the Acela were connecting off long distance trains. Really?

Southwest Airlines became one of the biggest airlines in America on mostly point to point service.

It isn't that I completely oppose hub-and-spoke models-- they have their uses. But this idea that you need long distance trains to make the Northeast Corridor successful is complete bunk. The Northeast Corridor is built on people traveling between big cities like Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington.

The disproportionate revenue impact of sleeper passengers "effectively refutes the argument you sometimes hear that Amtrak shouldn't be operating trains for so-called ‘wealthy leisure travelers'. The first-class travelers make train travel possible for the coach passengers. I'd call that a good deal. The airlines use the same economics to keep their coach fares reasonable."
Of course he's going to say that. He doesn't want his subsidies cut. Meanwhile, what they actually DO is cut sleeper services all the time (while GROWING corridor service). And by the way, that's also what PRIVATE railroads were doing before 1970! Remember the Automat cars?

URPA's studies are based in the premise that Amtrak vastly understates the national network's potential and overstates its losses by distributing fixed overhead that's mostly concentrated in the Northeast Corridor.
Yep, because some advocacy organization knows more than the people running Amtrak.

I'm curious, does anyone do this with Coca-Cola? Microsoft? General Motors? Are these companies all assumed to be run by people who don't know the first thing about the very business they are running? Or is it only passenger railroads where, despite the fact that long distance trains have been declining in EVERY rich country ever since the 1950's, the problem is that the people running the railroads didn't know what they are doing and weren't as smart as a bunch of advocates who re-crunch numbers from public reports?

The fewer national-network routes there are (especially those with sleepers), the greater the losses.
"National network" is spin. Less than 1 percent of the population uses this "network" as their primary means of long distance travel. Call them "long distance trains". You guys have great PR people who come up with a lot of spin, I will give you that. But there is no "national network".

These discussions about which group prefers which amenities are a foolish distraction from what should be the real conversation
Translation: 'you are absolutely right that raifans will always look for arguments to defend their hobby of riding around in luxury sleeping cars and eating steak at taxpayer expense. Therefore, I will change the subject."
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:22 am
In Memoriam

Translation: 'you are absolutely right that raifans will always look for arguments to defend their hobby of riding around in luxury sleeping cars and eating steak at taxpayer expense. Therefore, I will change the subject."
This one sentence pretty much shows how out of touch you are with the realities of things if you think that Amtrak's sleeping cars are luxurious.

A roomette is basically two phone booths lying on their sides stacked one on top of the other with 2 beds installed. There are no other luxuries in those rooms!

Besides, the bulk of the riders in sleeping cars aren't railfans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.