Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Credit Card to Open For Amtrak Short Trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to be making a lot of short trips between NYC and PHL over the next few years on Amtrak and was wondering if anyone has advice for a credit card to open to get an opening bonus to redeem for trips (either through AGR or just by booking regularly) and/or a good card to use for purchasing tickets. It doesn't seem worth it for me to ever really book through AGR for 4000 points when I could spend $41 for the same ticket. I've been looking at the Barclay Arrival Card as one option... Thanks in advance
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:51 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
On the Northeast Corridor, I find that AGR redemptions are best for either last-minute tickets or tickets that get ridiculously pricey (like some Friday/Sunday tickets), since there’s no capacity controls on AGR awards. A Chase Sapphire Preferred card will get you 2x points/dollar on travel including Amtrak (and restaurants), and points can be transferred 1:1 to Amtrak for award travel.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: AGR
I'll second the recommendation for the Chase Sapphire Preferred, PENDING the outcome of the Chase/AGR relationship. The 1:1 transfer into AGR is awesome, but if it goes away, I'll have to reevaluate what I'm doing.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
I'm going to be making a lot of short trips between NYC and PHL over the next few years on Amtrak and was wondering if anyone has advice for a credit card to open to get an opening bonus to redeem for trips (either through AGR or just by booking regularly) and/or a good card to use for purchasing tickets. It doesn't seem worth it for me to ever really book through AGR for 4000 points when I could spend $41 for the same ticket. I've been looking at the Barclay Arrival Card as one option... Thanks in advance
I think for your situation the Arrival plus will be best option. The CSP is very good choice as well as the others have pointed out. It does not have to be an either or, you can get both...
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

As noted, it makes little sense to redeem 4,000 AGR points for a ticket if you can get that ticket for $41 (or less, if you can take advantage of the occasional sales). The Arrival+ card will let you redeem points against Amtrak (and other) travel at 2.2%; the CSP card will let you transfer points to a variety of airline and hotel programs (and AGR -- at least for a while longer). But even 100 one-ways at $41 a pop is not going to earn you all that much in either card's program; but those tickets can help you to meet minimum-spend requirements on those (and other) cards to qualify for large sign-up bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.