Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver Star sleeping cars gone?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm sorry to report that the dining car removal is now permanent:

Silver Star Trains 91 & 92 Dining Car Removed - Sleeping Accommodations Offered at Lower Fares
A Dining car will not be offered on the Silver Star, and sleeping car and coach passengers can purchase all meals in the Café/Lounge Car, which offers a selection of hot and cold sandwiches, snacks and other items. See the Silver Star Cafe Menu for available offerings. In addition, passengers pay less for Silver Star Sleeping Car accommodations, as a result of the Dining Car being removed.

Over a seven month test period, Amtrak operated the Silver Star without a Dining Car and offered sleeping accommodations at a lower cost. After reviewing customer comments and evaluating the operational cost savings, this change has been made permanent. Amtrak will continue to explore ways to provide food and beverage service at lower cost.
https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...=1251627987391
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:20 am

"Amtrak will continue to explore ways to provide food and beverage service at lower cost. "

Primarily by, you know... not.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm sorry to report that the dining car removal is now permanent:

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...=1251627987391
This is a pretty big confirmation that a lot of the things that outside groups like NARP and railfans say about Amtrak's costs and the source of its operating losses is dead wrong.

Obviously, Amtrak wouldn't make this permanent if it wasn't saving them money. To me, it's almost a repeat of the history of the end of the pre-Amtrak era, where a number of railroads saved money by eliminating full service diners.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Not at all obvious to me. If Amtrak has bogus accounting procedures, then there could be a bogus savings. It seems at least as likely that someone is trying to placate the likes of Mica by eliminating dining service on a route, without regard to actual costs or savings.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp
This is a pretty big confirmation that a lot of the things that outside groups like NARP and railfans say about Amtrak's costs and the source of its operating losses is dead wrong.

Obviously, Amtrak wouldn't make this permanent if it wasn't saving them money. To me, it's almost a repeat of the history of the end of the pre-Amtrak era, where a number of railroads saved money by eliminating full service diners.
It sounds like you have information on how things changed on the revenue side?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by serpens
Not at all obvious to me. If Amtrak has bogus accounting procedures, then there could be a bogus savings. It seems at least as likely that someone is trying to placate the likes of Mica by eliminating dining service on a route, without regard to actual costs or savings.
Bogus accounting procedures affect how you report profits and losses to the outside world.

But nobody uses bogus accounting procedures when actually making business decisions. You use the real numbers, because you need to know what really makes and loses the business money.

I'm really not convinced that Amtrak uses bogus numbers to begin with. It's far, far more likely that advocacy groups, who have a pretty big ideological axe they are grinding, are going to use bogus numbers than Amtrak. But nonetheless, even if Amtrak, say, uses bogus numbers to keep members of Congress happy, they aren't going to use those same numbers in deciding whether to take a diner off the Silver Star. If doing that sort of thing increases their losses, at a time when they are fighting for every dollar of subsidy, they'd just never do it. No business executive deliberately takes steps that put the business in a worse position.

So we have to assume that either this had no effect on the bottom line or improved it. (And Occam's razor would suggest it improved it, given everything that IS known about the costs of Amtrak's dining car operations.)

My prediction is that this is the wave of the future, and it's probably a good thing to the extent that it puts the long distance routes on a more solid economic footing. But it's not good for AGR members who travel in long distance sleepers.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
If Amtrak can make the cafe thing work well, a beefed-up cafe CAN work for some of the one-night overnight trains (the longer Western trains are another story, however). That being said, Amtrak did not handle the Star situation terribly well (simply using the National Cafe Menu and then the NEC menu don't quite cut it).
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
If Amtrak can make the cafe thing work well, a beefed-up cafe CAN work for some of the one-night overnight trains (the longer Western trains are another story, however). That being said, Amtrak did not handle the Star situation terribly well (simply using the National Cafe Menu and then the NEC menu don't quite cut it).
Perhaps, but the idea that sleeper passengers have to go line up in the Cafe Car to pay for overpriced, microwaved food that frequently runs out, is really disappointing.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I won't be taking LD sleeper trips anymore, that's for sure. Now that AGR has been heavily devalued, I can't afford to take those sorts of trips anyway.

I'm not sure why they bothered to order all those dining cars if they're not going to use them anyway. Maybe Amtrak outside of corridor service really does deserve to die.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.