Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Avoiding Thruway buses on point redemptions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I'm looking at a points redemption for a sleeper room from Oakland to Vancouver, BC. If I try to book with cash I'm offered the Coast Starlight as far as Seattle and then a bus to Vancouver. I'd (unsurprisingly) prefer to go on by train if possible - is overnighting in Seattle and taking the first Cascades in the morning an option, or would that end up counting as a separate reservation?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by mjg59
I'm looking at a points redemption for a sleeper room from Oakland to Vancouver, BC. If I try to book with cash I'm offered the Coast Starlight as far as Seattle and then a bus to Vancouver. I'd (unsurprisingly) prefer to go on by train if possible - is overnighting in Seattle and taking the first Cascades in the morning an option, or would that end up counting as a separate reservation?
Since the bus is the published connection and on the same day, staying over for the train the next day requires a separate reservation.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
The good news in this case is that the Cascades is a "special route" so the additional reservation would be a relatively small redemption amount, not an entire one-zone award (if you use AGR points).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.