Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-clearance for Adirondack in the future

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

hopefully the laws will be passed to speed up the bottleneck at the border check, and hopefully there will be a second Montreal route to USA via Vermont.

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/...tml?channel=41
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
My recollection is that the Montrealer service was suspended because of the quality of the tracks and the ability of the owner of those tracks to give Amtrak some level of priority so as to maintain schedules. Presumably, those issues have to be worked out (or have been).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
My recollection is that the Montrealer service was suspended because of the quality of the tracks and the ability of the owner of those tracks to give Amtrak some level of priority so as to maintain schedules. Presumably, those issues have to be worked out (or have been).
However, many hurdles remain. Most fall to the state – not the federal government – to resolve.
http://nhpr.org/post/step-closer-tra...rmont-montreal
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard confirms negotiations to build customs check in MTR

Aug 31, 2015

"Speaking at a conference of eastern Canadian premiers and northeastern American state governors, premier Philippe Couillard confirmed negotiations are about to get underway to allow passengers to clear U.S. customs at Montreal's Central Station, rather than at the actual border."

http://www.cjad.com/cjad-news/2015/0...ake-a-comeback
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
"Negotiations are about to get underway"

WHOA THERE.

Let's not get too hasty.

First, we'll need a period of time to lay the groundwork for advance talks that will create a framework under which negotiations may occur.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by fairviewroad

WHOA THERE.

Let's not get too hasty.

First, we'll need a period of time to lay the groundwork for advance talks that will create a framework under which negotiations may occur.
And what shape the negotiating table will be....
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by fairviewroad

WHOA THERE.

Let's not get too hasty.

Originally Posted by hamiltonc
And what shape the negotiating table will be....
Wasn't that a M*A*S*H episode?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
The Paris Peace talks, which opened on May 10, [1968] continue to be plagued by procedural questions that impeded any meaningful progress. South Vietnamese Premier Nguyen Cao Ky refused to consent to any permanent seating plan that would place the National Liberation Front (NLF) on an equal footing with Saigon. North Vietnam and the NLF likewise balked at any arrangement that would effectively recognize the Saigon as the legitimate government of South Vietnam. Prolonged discussions over the shape of the negotiating table was finally resolved by the placement of two square tables separated by a round table.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...he-peace-talks
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by RogerD408
M*A*S*H Season 7 Episode 2 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0638380/
When the Army increases the number of points needed for a discharge, Hawkeye gets angry and interrupts official peace talks. ...
I knew I've seen it before...
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Bill to simplify border crossing passes U.S. Congress on December 2016

Bill to simplify border crossing passes U.S. Congress on December 2016

A bill with potentially sweeping consequences for the Canada-U.S. border has just been adopted by the American Congress, allowing new projects aimed at speeding up travel through the international boundary.

The so-called preclearance bill has now been adopted by both U.S. legislative chambers after being passed by the Senate overnight Saturday and is now expected to become law with President Barack Obama's signature.

The pilot projects will take place at Montreal's train station and on Western Canada's Rocky Mountaineer train line.

The projects will establish U.S. customs offices on the Canadian side of the border allowing travellers, in theory, to get screened more quickly, zip through the actual border, and ease the logjams that slow travel and commerce.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Canada signs pre-clearance agreement

December 14, 2017
PLATTSBURGH — A U.S./Canadian pre-clearance agreement has been passed and signed into law by the Canadian government.

The law, which paves the way for expanded U.S. jurisdiction over U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents working in Canada, has been pending passage by that country since former President Barack Obama signed it last year.

It allows for pre-clearance of U.S.-bound Amtrak passengers in Montreal, which could reduce the frequency of lengthy delays at the Rouses Point border crossing.

Canada signs pre-clearance agreement | Local News | pressrepublican.com
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I still don't understand why they can't just do it like I've had it done elsewhere (eastern Europe, etc.) and have customs officers board the train at the last stop before the border and detrain at the first stop after the border, working on processing passengers on the train while it travels between the two. Seems to work 100% fine and is very convenient for passengers (and the railroad).

That said, preclearance at MTR is likely not really a big deal since (based on my view of the platform from the last car in the train) St. Lambert isn't a terribly popular stop (backed up by this and this), so bypassing it likely won't have many adverse effects on ridership.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by jackal
I still don't understand why they can't just do it like I've had it done elsewhere (eastern Europe, etc.) and have customs officers board the train at the last stop before the border and detrain at the first stop after the border, working on processing passengers on the train while it travels between the two. Seems to work 100% fine and is very convenient for passengers (and the railroad).

That said, preclearance at MTR is likely not really a big deal since (based on my view of the platform from the last car in the train) St. Lambert isn't a terribly popular stop (backed up by this and this), so bypassing it likely won't have many adverse effects on ridership.
Once upon a time, that was done on the train that ran Chicago to Toronto--- but that was a half century before 9/11 and the Canadian staff that worked the train in Michigan knew their regulars.

Bob H
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Has there been any movement in terms of clearance on Adirondack?

In the other direction, is entering Canada as bad as entering the US?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.