Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ClubAcela (PHL) - Just Snacks?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

ClubAcela (PHL) - Just Snacks?

I've traveled Amtrak quite a bit over the past few years, but have never once stepped into ClubAcela. This year I'll actually get Select Plus and I decided to Google It and see what I was in for.

Came down to this for filing the stomach:
  • Fountain Drinks
  • Snacks

I found very limited pictures to see what the place actually looked like. And was a bit disappointed to find out there weren't any alcoholic beverages. Most reviews were aged as well.

To the point -- Do they EVER offer meals or anything that could be substituted for a meal? Or is it like pretzels and peanuts?

Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:25 pm

The description is correct.
Pretzels & peanuts
self service soda fountains - No alcohol. Honestly the best use I've ever had from ClubAcela's is avoiding the lines and boarding chaos in DC and NYC.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Generally, the sole value of Club A is that the agent can handle changes fairly readily without long lines. At PHL the specific value is that the Club has elevators which take you directly to the platform.

Otherwise dingy and dirty. Snacks are merely packets of stuff generally sold in vending machines.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by nova08
Pretzels & peanuts
Sometimes they have Doritos!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by bitburgr
Sometimes they have Doritos!
...and potato chips.

It was actually "better" when the self serve drink dispenser went out of order, because they had bottled/can drinks in a fridge.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
In the morning, they have prefab Sara Lee pastries. A shelf-stable pound cake or danish is not my idea of a healthy start to the day, but it's not much worse than the breakfast offerings in the cafe car and can keep you going until lunch.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Dang this is disappointing - Step up your game Amtrak!

If only I could find some way to get in the UA club lounge without a boarding pass now.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Don't build up expectations for any of the lounges. I haven't been to PHL, but WAS and NYP are nothing special. NYP rarely has any snacks at all (apart from morning pastries), and you get Goldfish and pretzels at WAS. They're also in desperate need of renovation. The BOS lounge is quite nice, but not a fan of the staff there. Can't remember the snack situation.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Staff is RUDE the man there, Tad told my wife to get the F*** out of his face after she asked if the train was on time. He led us to the track and didn't load the bags on the train. Didnt have bags the entire trip!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:35 pm

Being able to avoid the public restrooms at NYP trumps all benefits for me....
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
Our experience

Our experience with Club Acela: NYP is almost always crowded; it was helpful each time having a red cap get us to the train as it seemed a complicated route to me. The last time we were there, when arriving, the red caps disappeared from the platform and our car attendant had to help us with our luggage to the lounge. PHL is nice (my wife especially likes this) as it is divided into small areas so you can often feel as though you are in a private area. WAS has the best service and should be an example for all of the first class lounges, especially Chicago.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:57 am

"WAS has the best service and should be an example for all of the first class lounges, especially Chicago."

That has been my experience. Washington was a breeze to deal with getting "signed in" = Chicago can be very hit and miss - to the point of making you not want to ride Amtrak again.

St Louis First Class Lounge rarely used by passengers - unlike Chicago Business Class - BC riders aren't given lounge access in St Louis. But as Select Plus - I've had a fairly easy time of getting in - granted used same employee every time - so that helps.

I wasn't Select Plus on my New York visit - so didn't get to experience lounge - was ticketed Acela BC - which gets no lounge love.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
I like the PHL lounge. Since I have never been in an airport lounge, I don't know what I'm missing! One of the great things about PHL is the elevator to the platform.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: AGR, HH
No, the snacks aren't something to write home about, but just the chance to wait in a comfortable, *quiet* space (and have access to clean restrooms) is "worth the price of admission" for me.

Frankly, given Amtrak's ongoing funding issues, I'm surprised that Amtrak has been able to cobble the network of lounges together, and count myself lucky that they even exist.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The new lounge in LAX at least has cookies. But yeah, you come to a Club Acela hungry and you leave hungry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.