Any recent Coast Starlight info?

Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by fly4work
This will be my first LD trip on Amtrak and my son and I are travelling LAX-SEA-LAX on a Bedroom. Does Amtrak still provide complimentary champagne upon boarding in LAX? Is there still the afternoon wine tasting in the PPC? What about tipping for the sleeping car attendants?

We are very excited about this trip!! Thank you so much in advance!!!
The bubbles were axed, along with the chocolates and the amenity kit with shampoo, soap etc. last year.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by physioprof
Food looks really good!
Its quite surprising how good the food is on the long distance trains. The hamburgers (AKA Amburgers) for lunch are quite good as well!

DSC01312 by Brian H, on Flickr
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Indeed. Looks like a really good roll, too.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
When we travelled a few years back we were impressed by the food, though it is easy to eat more than you should for a sedentary day or two. Amtrak needs to add an exercise car! The choices do get a bit repetitive if you spend too many days on the trains in a short time.

The other impressive thing was how enthusiastic the staff were.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by seat38a
The bubbles were axed, along with the chocolates and the amenity kit with shampoo, soap etc. last year.
The chocolates - small hershey-esque squares branded Amtrak? They were in my sleeper (southbound 5/26)
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by travellingcari
The chocolates - small hershey-esque squares branded Amtrak? They were in my sleeper (southbound 5/26)
If it was then it must have been done by the SCA on their own accord. The official policy was scrapped last year. Those square chocolates do show up once in a while in the Metropolitan Lounge as well but the whole having it as an official part of the sleeper was gone last year. There was a big hoopla and cry about all the cuts in the sleepers on another Amtrak forum
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
If it was then it must have been done by the SCA on their own accord. The official policy was scrapped last year. Those square chocolates do show up once in a while in the Metropolitan Lounge as well but the whole having it as an official part of the sleeper was gone last year. There was a big hoopla and cry about all the cuts in the sleepers on another Amtrak forum
Gotcha. I think I missed that as I'm not always tied in to Amtrak news and updates.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: None
Word is going around that the Coast Starlight will soon have a Business Class car(s) and fare.
Apparently it has been in-the-works for some time now, and Amtrak reworked the kiddie arcade cars and installed Business Class seats.
BC riders will have access to the PPC car and the fare will include 1 or 2 bottled water and a $6 food/beverage voucher for the dining/PPC car or Cafe.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/inde...usiness-class/
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by ConnieC69
Word is going around that the Coast Starlight will soon have a Business Class car(s) and fare.
Apparently it has been in-the-works for some time now, and Amtrak reworked the kiddie arcade cars and installed Business Class seats.
BC riders will have access to the PPC car and the fare will include 1 or 2 bottled water and a $6 food/beverage voucher for the dining/PPC car or Cafe.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/inde...usiness-class/
PPC only for wine tasting. The rumor is they can't lounge around like the sleeping car passengers can.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

PPC only for wine tasting. The rumor is they can't lounge around like the sleeping car passengers can.
On the southbound on 5/26 they offered a "sneak preview" of the Parlor Car for an hour for "select Amtrak Guests". Wonder if this was a beta for that.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:41 am

Its official, they added Business Class on the Coast Starlight for the summer to test it out.
http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/907/753/...-15-032%20.pdf
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Its official, they added Business Class on the Coast Starlight for the summer to test it out.
http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/907/753/...-15-032%20.pdf
I've booked SJC-PRB for next Tuesday. I'm a little less than enthralled with being seated on the lower level, but I will probably spend most of that time in the Parlour Car (nothing in the official press release indicates time in the PPC will be restricted), and the scenery on that section of the route isn't anything spectacular, so it's an ideal arrangement to test it out.

$25 on top of the $24.xx AAA base fare, but I'll use the $6 coupon towards lunch (hopefully in the Parlour Car).
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
I've booked SJC-PRB for next Tuesday. I'm a little less than enthralled with being seated on the lower level, but I will probably spend most of that time in the Parlour Car (nothing in the official press release indicates time in the PPC will be restricted), and the scenery on that section of the route isn't anything spectacular, so it's an ideal arrangement to test it out.

$25 on top of the $24.xx AAA base fare, but I'll use the $6 coupon towards lunch (hopefully in the Parlour Car).
Hope they haven't run out of ice cream by lunch. That was my favorite part of the Parlor Car lunch. Otherwise the Caesar Salad was also good.

Also general tip: they'll give you cups with ice if you BYO non-alcoholic beverages.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:18 am

As an anecdotal data point, we rode the CS OKJ-SEA 6/21-22. PPC was almost never full (eight swivel chairs were at times but other seats usually had room). Meal reservations were in person with the PPC attendant at the bar - meal space went begging (5:30 (final) dinner seating heading into SEA had four people (us and two others)).
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BelmontRef
meal space went begging (5:30 (final) dinner seating heading into SEA had four people (us and two others)).
That was the same with the last dinner inbound to LA on 5/27. Most felt it was going to be too rushed and they'd be getting to their destination soon enough & skipped. I think only ones who sat were those connecting down to San Diego

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.