Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Select Upgrade Coupon on a Military Fare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:18 am
Original Poster

I'm booked on an Acela trip in a few weeks on a military fare and was hoping to use one of my Select upgrade coupons. I've read through various forums and no one seems to know if it is possible, since a military fare does not have an advanced purchase restriction like other fares do. I can always rebook under a normal fare, but the bucket increase would be significant so I would like to avoid it if it's not necessary. Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:03 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Hi - as stated on the back of the coupon, it is only valid in combination with the full fare. (The only permitted discount is a negotiated corporate discount if your employer has one and you are on business travel.) That said, you will not be forced to jump to a higher bucket. When you call or present your upgrade coupon within 12 hours of departure, the agent's reservation system will automatically calculate the difference (10%) between your military discount and the full fare for the bucket you originally booked, and then you will pay that amount in order to upgrade.

Hope this helps,
Anthony
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Update on my Acela trip recently. I was booked on a WAS-NYP round trip on a military fare. I called to upgrade to first for both segments 12 hours prior to each respective one. I was told in both instances that since the military fare does not have any advanced purchase requirements, they were able to simply upgrade me to first without having to rebook or add the 10% discount back in to the fare. So, bottom line, it seems upgrade coupons can be used with a military fare with no additional cost or rebooking required.

One other thing I noticed after my travel. My AGR account was credited at 750 per segment. I thought upgraded first travel no longer accrued the bonus miles (I'm not complaining, just curious for future travel). Has this been changed or am I the lucky beneficiary of a glitch?

Overall, the agents I spoke with were very helpful, though it took about 30 minutes on the phone with each as they both had to call their supervisors to see how to apply the upgrade to a military fare as neither had done it before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.