Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Purchase refundable airline in case of cancellation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage

I noticed Train 64 (Toronto-NYC) was cancelled today. When I was viewing the status yesterday, it showed today's service was still scheduled. How far in advance does Amtrak cancel their service?

Do folks purchase a refundable airline ticket as a backup in case the train gets cancelled? Porter Airlines' morning flights between YTZ and EWR have been arriving on-time today.

I discovered the Amtrak folks are highly optimistic about arrivals. Yesterday's service was initially scheduled to arrive 15 minutes early. Later in the day, it was scheduled to arrive an hour late. When I checked the status today, it finally arrived in NYC almost 6 hours late.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...o_buffalo.html

Best to call Amtrak or monitor the service advisory on amtrak.com. If today's service between Albany and Buffalo remains suspended, then I doubt that tomorrow's #64 will be operating, unless there is already an Amtrak train set sitting in Toronto. (I'm assuming that #64 uses the train set of the previous day's #63.)

How much is a refundable Toronto-NYC plane ticket? If you have any BA Avios, you might check ba.com for award-seat availability on AA for YYZ-LGA/JFK: only 4,500 Avios plus some taxes for a one-way.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:29 am

My experience has been that cancellations are usually same day, often within a hours of departure even when it's apparent that nothing will move.

Most of my travel is between DC and NY so I've been able to use the bus as a back up in most cases. Usually the trains are the last thing to get cancelled in inclement weather so I've only had to do it a few times.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sant
Do folks purchase a refundable airline ticket as a backup in case the train gets cancelled?
I've done it. Never had to use the air ticket, though (knock on wood). Except, there was one time when the train was cancelled mid-trip, but then all the flights were cancelled too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.