Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class same as old coach?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Business class same as old coach?

delete

Last edited by davie355; Apr 24, 2020 at 2:04 am
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:21 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Alas, business class is not consistent within Amtrak. Those 2-1 cars are largely found in the midwest (for now), the train to Vermont, and the Maple Leaf to Canada from NY.

In other markets, the BC car looks more like a regular coach, only with greater pitch and curtains on the windows. Plus the perk of a free newspaper and non-alco drinks from the cafe car. Plus BC is never oversold, unlike coach.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:01 pm

Agree it can vary substantially. On some NEC trains, they use identical seats as coach, but usually there is more pitch. The Downeaster always has the 2-1 seats, as does the overnight NEC. On the Acela, business class is the lowest class, and has 2-2.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
BC is always 2-1 on the Cascades too, IINM.

(There are also some 2-1 coach cars on the Cascades...rode one earlier this month...might be the only 2-1 coach seating in the Amtrak system.)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Just as a data point, with the AMFleet cars a proper Business Class should be 62 seats, and a coach car could be 70-72. Plus Business Class has foot rests, and curtains as well.

If you tell me which train it was, I can actually take a look and see if it was a "true" Business Class car or not.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:29 pm

And it's worse if you are booked in AmFleet business and the consist has AmFleet II, such as Carolinian (oops).

I heard some reports that sometimes in California they run AmFleet I coach as business and hope that no one will notice.

Can they at least put leather seats in all of AmFleet business class? I know they have done it for some of their cars.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Trains 66 and 67 on the Northeast Regional have the old ClubClass cars as their business class cars (2-1 seating in half of the car, the other half is the cafe)

The Downeaster has the old ClubClass cars with 2-1 seating as well.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:52 am

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
There is one consist that is made up of the old Amfleet cars that is still used on the Surfliner! I cannot stand those cars!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
I was wondering what the difference was myself, as an Amtrac newbie. I recently rode the Palmetto from RVR to CHS and back in Business. I took a look in a coach car and it looked pretty much the same. The only difference I could tell is that it appeared their might have been a little less leg room, but not really sure. Food and drinks in the diner car all had costs. I "thought" non-alcoholic drinks were included for business? I ended up paying for everything I got out of the diner, and nobody ever came through our car to offer anything complementary. Is this the norm, and if so I have to wonder about what it the real value of business class over coach for future trips? Any advice/insight is appreciated!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

If it was 2-1 on NER, I would book it every week. Don't see the value as it stands. Prefer the quiet car.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Food and drinks in the diner car all had costs. I "thought" non-alcoholic drinks were included for business? I ended up paying for everything I got out of the diner, and nobody ever came through our car to offer anything complementary. Is this the norm, and if so I have to wonder about what it the real value of business class over coach for future trips? Any advice/insight is appreciated!
You need to tell the attendant, and show your BC ticket, prior to ordering in order to get the free non-alcoholic drink. Many conductors, although not all, will mention this when they lift your ticket.

The only other perks are free newspaper, usually left sitting in the luggage rack; more leg room; curtains on the windows; and a guaranteed seat. BC is never oversold, whereas that can happen in coach occasionally.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Thank you AlanB!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.