Wiki Posts
Search

64 Maple Leaf -Toronto to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
64 Maple Leaf -Toronto to NYC

Has anyone taken the Maple Leaf from Toronto to NYC? I have read reviews about food running out in the cafe car hours before arriving in NYC, but these were posted years ago. Should I be prepared and bring some baked goods which would be allowed by US customs?

I've flown on 3-4 hour flights with no food due to catering snafus. I wouldn't want to be on a 12-hour train ride without having eaten anything since breakfast.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I wouldn't really consider taking this train myself. It's an absurdly long ride, and I've found that it tends to cost more money than flying.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I wouldn't really consider taking this train myself. It's an absurdly long ride, and I've found that it tends to cost more money than flying.
+1

4,500 Avios + $50 (taxes, fuel fines, etc. all-in) with great availability (e.g. 9 redemption flights available tomorrow spread throughout the day).

Even with transport to/from YYZ and NYC airport, one saves more than half a day by flying. Of course scenery is one of the attractions of taking the train, but one of the most scenic parts of this trip (ALB - NYP) will be after dark from now until next spring.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I don't think the OP was seeking advice about whether or not to take the train. I mean, flying is great if you have 4500 Avios sitting around (hint: most people don't) and to say that the train "tends to cost more than flying" is a bit misleading. Compare Amtrak versus airline travel from Toronto to New York for tomorrow, for instance. You'll save $200 by taking the train. Book a ticket for 3 months out and yes, the flight will be competitive price-wise with the train.

That's not to say that Amtrak is the best choice for everyone, and no one is making that claim. But the OP asked a specific question about food service, not whether s/he should book the ticket.

I can't answer that question beyond saying that border folks generally don't care about baked goods. They are more concerned about fresh fruit, but even that is not an across-the-board ban. This webpage has useful info. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
I don't think the OP was seeking advice about whether or not to take the train. I mean, flying is great if you have 4500 Avios sitting around (hint: most people don't)
Agreed that the OP probably wasn't looking for advise about whether or not to take the train.

For others who might be daunted by spending 13.5 hours to travel 356 air miles (and that assumes the train arrives on time, which it usually doesn't --- 36.7% percent on-time performance during September), the alternative of flying cheaply, even the next day, might be of some use.

For folks who have not collected BA Avios previously, they can be easily transferred 1:1 from Chase Ultimate Rewards (generally instantaneously), SPG, AMEX MR, Diners' Club etc. etc. Once the Avios are in your account, one-way tickets from YYZ to LGA or JFK (AA metal) can be issued by BA's website (avoiding the need to interact with a call center). Hope that this helps.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by Sant
Has anyone taken the Maple Leaf from Toronto to NYC? I have read reviews about food running out in the cafe car hours before arriving in NYC, but these were posted years ago. Should I be prepared and bring some baked goods which would be allowed by US customs?

I've flown on 3-4 hour flights with no food due to catering snafus. I wouldn't want to be on a 12-hour train ride without having eaten anything since breakfast.
Yes, food can be an issue with this train, since the train leaves NY with all the food for both the run out to Niagara Falls, NY and then back. It is not restocked in Niagara Falls. On the Canadian side, a VIA Rail crews runs the cafe and they bring their own food onboard to sell and take it off when the train arrives at Niagara Falls, ON.

But this is not to say that there will be no food left either. Generally the most popular items, pizza, cheeseburgers, etc. are the ones that run out. And that generally happens after lunch. Take an early dinner and you may still be able to get what you want. Take a late dinner and choices will probably be very limited. I once brought the breakfast sandwich to eat for dinner, as that was the most attractive (at least for me) item left in the cafe car.

So you could bring some of your own stuff (cheaper); but some stuff from the VIA Rail crew to eat later; or stock up on non-perishable items early in the trip from the Amtrak crew; or take your chances that the pickings will be slim for dinner.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:30 pm

seat pitch varies between cars

also worth mentioning is that seat pitch often varies between cars on Maple Leaf.. It is always better to bring your own snacks on long distance train, plus hand sanitizer.. yes, bathroom tend to be dirty overtime on Maple Leaf
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If the train arrives into ALB on time (and that's a big if), there will be 20 minutes of dwell time there. That should be enough time to get off the train, go into the station, and buy a sandwich or something else from the coffee shop there, and then re-board the train.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlanB
But this is not to say that there will be no food left either. Generally the most popular items, pizza, cheeseburgers, etc. are the ones that run out. And that generally happens after lunch. Take an early dinner and you may still be able to get what you want. Take a late dinner and choices will probably be very limited. I once brought the breakfast sandwich to eat for dinner, as that was the most attractive (at least for me) item left in the cafe car.
Thank you for the helpful tips. I'll probably do a late lunch/early dinner.

My only experience with a lengthy train ride was from Nice to Brussels. Of course, I doubt that train was double-catered in Nice.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If the train arrives into ALB on time (and that's a big if), there will be 20 minutes of dwell time there. That should be enough time to get off the train, go into the station, and buy a sandwich or something else from the coffee shop there, and then re-board the train.
Thanks for that other option.

Last edited by Sant; Nov 4, 2014 at 9:47 am
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

+1 on this. Its a decent and speedy coffee shop.

While it is beyond the scope of the question I'll also say there is a decent bar across the parking lot from the station.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobR
While it is beyond the scope of the question I'll also say there is a decent bar across the parking lot from the station.
Does the bar offer takeout? From this stop, how many hours would be left on the trip?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From Albany it is 2.5 hours to NY Penn Station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.