Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Answer From Amtrak Customer Service For a Month And Now This

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

So some of you might remember my awful Capitol Limited experience documented in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...xpereince.html

The short version was a 7 hour delay involving both my Dad and I having to detrain early to make our commitments. I decided to email Amtrak asking for a voucher for the unused portion of my trip, something like $106. They forwarded my email to customer service a couple days after contacting them and I heard nothing. Until today when I got this email:

Dear Amtrak Customer:

Our records indicate that we have recently received an email from you which was forwarded to Customer Relations. We are sorry that, due to a temporary interruption to our normal email process, we are unable to respond to your previous message at this time. If you have a comments that have not been addressed as of yet, and you would like to contact Customer Relations, we ask that you call us at 800-USA-RAIL (800-872-7245), and ask to speak with Customer Relations. We are available to receive transferred calls Mondays through Fridays between the hours of 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. eastern time. If you have any comments regarding your travel in the future, you are welcome to call or send them via our website by going to Amtrak.com, and clicking on Contact Us.

Please accept our apologies for not replying to your previous submission, and we ask for your patience as we work to improve our process.

Sincerely,

Amtrak Customer Relations

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS
You. Must. Be. Kidding. Me. Not to get all DYKWIA, but I am Select Plus and I make it through spend on Sleeper Car trips. This is the first time I've ever contacted Amtrak in 9 years and this is the response I get. Guess I get to call tomorrow, something I should have done a month ago
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
This is rather discouraging. Hopefully this is a technical glitch in their system and not an indication of a lack of concern regarding customer experiences. It appears they may have contracted their customer service to United.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
The one time I had an issue, I called Customer Relations directly and they took care of the problem on the spot, and issued a travel voucher. Of course, that doesn't help if you don't know to call them, and wait for them to email you back instead.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA silver, AC *s p, A3, EI, KL, & UA nobody!
Angry Another example of 'and now this!!'

Likewise I have received this type of message from AMTRAK Customer Services.

Dear Amtrak Customer:

Our records indicate that we have recently received an email from you which was forwarded to Customer Relations. We are sorry that, due to a temporary interruption to our normal email process, we are unable to respond to your previous message at this time. If you have a comments that have not been addressed as of yet, and you would like to contact Customer Relations, we ask that you call us at 800-USA-RAIL (800-872-7245), and ask to speak with Customer Relations. We are available to receive transferred calls Mondays through Fridays between the hours of 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. eastern time. If you have any comments regarding your travel in the future, you are welcome to call or send them via our website by going to Amtrak.com, and clicking on Contact Us.

Please accept our apologies for not replying to your previous submission, and we ask for your patience as we work to improve our process.

Sincerely,

Amtrak Customer Relations

I was commenting about a recent trip on the California Zephyr where there were in my opinion a number of shortfalls:-

The sleeper car was in need of a good steam clean on the inside - It was filthy!

The fittings inside the roomette, curtains, carpets and seats were worn and needed refurbishment.

The sleeping car washing facilities functioned OK and were just about satisfactory for a 2 day/ 2night stay on board.

Certain menu items and wine availability were out of stock by day 2 of the trip. By lunch on the last day it was burgers or nothing!

The train was meant to have a Sightseer Lounge car as part of its equipment, this car was missing. No official from AMTRAK ever made an apology about this fact.

The train arrived late into Chicago-Union, until Denver time keeping was perfect along with updates on arrivals at stations from the conductor. After Denver time-keeping was poor, this may have been due to rain storms during night two. If this had been the cause, it was never communicated to passengers.

The journey through the Rockies by train is very impressive, however overall, this actual AMTRAK train trip was less than impressive. Had such high expectations, but was so disappointed.

- Not sure if best to re-submit my complaint in say around 2 weeks from now. Not happy to telephone as the cost will be high from UK, and not happy to totally forget either!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Sounds like a rough trip, I guess the letter I got wasn't personal.

Incidentally, I did the CZ last year and I had some of the same issues as you: No delays at DEN but lake into Chicago, running out of food by the second day (and for us as well it was burgers or burgers). I'd say you should still call, if people don't complain what's their motivation to fix these issues?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by edinv

- Not sure if best to re-submit my complaint in say around 2 weeks from now. Not happy to telephone as the cost will be high from UK, and not happy to totally forget either!
I believe you can use skype to make free calls to USA 800 numbers from anywhere in the world.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: BA silver, AC *s p, A3, EI, KL, & UA nobody!
Originally Posted by SteveSTX
I believe you can use skype to make free calls to USA 800 numbers from anywhere in the world.
@:-)

Many thanks for this info. I actually found a FAX number for AMTRAKs corporate office. Sent them a FAX message and stated please forward to Customer Relations. - It may end up in the trash, or it may not!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
I have found that emailing customer service is a complete waste of time.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kspeed55
I have found that emailing customer service is a complete waste of time.
Based on my sample size of one, I absolutely agree with you.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
From things I've seen and heard elsewhere, calling is generally a much better bet than emailing. And that also assumes that they don't lose your email.

Of course calling also requires a bit more effort on one's part and some time spent on hold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.