Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Get on two stations early onto same train?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA

So here is a unique question for you.

I purchase a ticket on the vermonter from New York Penn. I noticed that on sat and sun the train i will be on actually stops in Metropark. I will be in central NJ the morning im getting on board.

What will happen if I board the train two stations early? I already got a ticket at a lower price than its selling for now.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

You could always leave early and take NJ Transit from MET to NYP and catch the Vermonter there as planned.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: BA GfL
If the conductor is doing his/her job, you will be required to pay full (current) price for the ticket from Metropark to NYP. Compare that to the amount you'd be paying to amend your current ticket legitimately and make your choice accordingly.

Outside of weekday rush hours, Metropark is not a station that gets a lot of new passengers. It's unlikely the conductor will not notice you getting on.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:57 pm

Buy a separate Amtrak ticket for MET-NYP on the same train and hand over both when you board. You don't get hit with rebooking the bulk of your trip at a higher fare bucket. You'll get extra points too.

Or take NJT for about $10 and 45 minutes. There should be a train at least every 30 minutes during the week.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by ne52
Buy a separate Amtrak ticket for MET-NYP on the same train and hand over both when you board. You don't get hit with rebooking the bulk of your trip at a higher fare bucket. You'll get extra points too.
Nope, no extra points. One will only get points for the first ticket to post; the second ticket for the same train does not earn points.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:35 am

That's right. Thanks for the correction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.