Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

My Absolutely Awful, Though Apparently Typical, Capitol Limited Expereince

My Absolutely Awful, Though Apparently Typical, Capitol Limited Expereince

Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well said GoAmtrak. My Dad and I take two or three long distance train trips a year for fun. We enjoy the journey, relaxing and watching the scenery, drinking, playing cards, laughing. You see parts of the country you'd never see otherwise. It's a great way to travel as long as you don't have a delay like this.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Well said GoAmtrak. My Dad and I take two or three long distance train trips a year for fun. We enjoy the journey, relaxing and watching the scenery, drinking, playing cards, laughing. You see parts of the country you'd never see otherwise. It's a great way to travel as long as you don't have a delay like this.
How did Amtrak address your concerns?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:59 pm

In 2009 my mother and I were on the CL, CHI-WAS, and had the same delay experience, with conflicting information the whole trip. Dining car service was horribly slow; we were told that half of the usual number of dining car attendants were not on board so 8 PM meant 10:30 PM, etc. Breakfast became brunch. There were no apologies from anyone about the staffing or delay issue.

The previous year, my now-spouse and I were on a cross-country trip [CL to Southwest Chief to Coastal Starlight. or WAS-CHI-LA-SF] which was running seven hours late, and we needed to get to San Francisco in time to be married in a small church ceremony, "Get me to the church on time, or at least the same day." We abandoned the trip in LA and flew to SF to arrive in time to get the marriage license. I was able to get a refund on the spot in LA for the Coastal Starlight portion sleeper; the agent didn't act as if refunding due to the late train/missed connection was unusual.

We enjoy the train but have learned that Amtrak is about destinations, not about schedules.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Those of us who appreciate the intrinsic charms of train travel might make what looks like an irrational choice to you. But the OP doesn't have to justify himself; he's posting here on the Amtrak forum for a reason. Please do some research for yourself about the routes, amenities, scenery, etc. and it should become clear why train travel can be a rewarding choice.
I use the Capitol Limited 2-3 times per year to get between DC and Elkhart, Indiana, where my wife's family lives. I used to use it 4-5 times a year in the late 90s to attend Notre Dame football games. The trip is anywhere from 15 to 18 hours. It is like taking a mini-cruise. Also, the timing is pretty good; you leave DC at about 4 pm and arrive in northern Indiana somewhere between 7 and 10 am the next morning. With a little prior planning, such as putting together a picnic and appropriate beverages, it can be a tremendous experience. Sometimes Amtrak discounts the sleeping accomodations, so that I can travel in real style for between $200-300 one way, with dinner and breakfast included. I've had some terrific sleeping car attendants.

As far as speed, the train can go 70 mph on the B&O Metropolitan Branch between Rockville and Point of Rocks, MD, 55-60 mph on the B&O mainline between Harpers Ferry and Cumberland, and 35-55 mph on much of the route through the mountains between Cumberland and Pittsburgh. Beyond PGH the train can run up to 79 mph on most segments until the suburbs of Chicago.

On my last trip which was a few months ago, the CL ran impeccably between WAS and PGH, and left Pittsburgh station on time. Once across the Allegheny River bridge, the delays began, and we got to EKH about 3:15 late (PGH to EKH is scheduled for 7:30 with 20 minute stops at CLE and TOL). We were subject to both track maintenance and getting stuck behind slow freights. There always seems to be a bottleneck on the east side of the Maumee River bridge just east of TOL station. Also, there is significant freight activity between Goshen, Indiana and Elkhart because of the large freight marshalling yard at the west end of Elkhart.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.