Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

The sorry state of Amtrak’s on-time performance, mapped

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The sorry state of Amtrak’s on-time performance, mapped

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Arshavin
I commute on Amtrak from San Jose to Emeryville. I have been commuting for over a year now. My experience with Amtrak has been so disappointing. The train is frequently delayed by more than 30 minutes one way. The frustrating part is there is no real time tracking so that I could plan to leave home/office accordingly. Given the car commute being even worse, this is I guess lesser of the evils. I can not wait for the project to be over by year end. When I accepted the project, I thought Amtrak will be cool way to commute. I mean it could be so much better only if its on-time performance was better. I cannot believe Amtrak is just so tardy operations wise.
Is there a particular train you take that's chronically late? I mean, this route, the Capitol Corridor, is often the most punctual route in the entire Amtrak system on any given day. In fact, for the month of June, the 96% average OTP was the best in the nation. Perhaps there's a certain time of day that's inordinately impacted by marine traffic at the drawbridge as you mentioned?

Originally Posted by Arshavin
Also, now that BART is expanding, Amtrak will lose even more customers if it does not put its act together. Compared to BART, the monthly pass is much more expensive but all I get is frustration in return. Same old excuses of train congestion, drawbridge open, train hit somebody all the time. I get it, just show the darn time real time so that people can plan.
BART and Amtrak are complementary and not competing modes in most cases. In fact, BART provides the staff support to manage the entire Capitol Corridor and its contract with Amtrak. @:-) Even once BART reaches San Jose, they'll each serve different markets and needs. BART likely won't be faster on a San Jose Diridon-MacArthur Station trip than the train is on SJC-EMY presently.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
A web site that's good at determining current status of *all* Amtrak trains at any point of time is available at:

http://dixielandsoftware.net/Amtrak/status/StatusMaps/

Also, Mrs Bob H and I always work with what we call the "two hour" rule for both flights and trains...

Take the published arrival time and allow a couple of hours for delays, then make your plans.

So far this year, all my flights and trains have been within the two hour window with one exception: a Delta flight that was delayed 3.5 hours by weather.

Bob H
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Not south of NYP (which I should have specified before). As I understand it, that's one key reason why the Acela can't hit 150 mph anywhere between D.C. and NYC.
In New Jersey, most if not all of it has been upgraded to constant tension catenary. They did testing of the Acela at 165mph trains to see the effect of wear on the track (it was not pretty). I think they have to do track geometry testing and get FRA approval to operate at higher speeds through the area. I can't really say anything about the corridor south of PA, as I haven't really had a good look at the catenary there.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: United 'Cattle Car', American, JetBlue Airways, Marriott Rewards 'Gold', Amtrak AGR 'Select'
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Is there a particular train you take that's chronically late? I mean, this route, the Capitol Corridor, is often the most punctual route in the entire Amtrak system on any given day. In fact, for the month of June, the 96% average OTP was the best in the nation. Perhaps there's a certain time of day that's inordinately impacted by marine traffic at the drawbridge as you mentioned?

BART and Amtrak are complementary and not competing modes in most cases. In fact, BART provides the staff support to manage the entire Capitol Corridor and its contract with Amtrak. @:-) Even once BART reaches San Jose, they'll each serve different markets and needs. BART likely won't be faster on a San Jose Diridon-MacArthur Station trip than the train is on SJC-EMY presently.
AGREED
I've been so impressed with the punctuality of Amtrak California's 'San Joaquin' Trains I leave my car at Bakersfield and let Amtrak #701 take care of my needs on any particular Saturday morning (Jeff Chavez is my conductor, though he's a Dodger fan - I like chatting baseball and other stuff with him). Joe G - Still A 'Proud' Padres Fan
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
rest in peace

We mention chronic reasons why trains are late--poorly-maintained tracks, freights--perhaps a less-discussed reason is what's referred to in emergency reports as "train vs. trespasser."

For example, yesterday, the northbound Coast Starlight was modestly late--departed LAX 24 minutes late, and San Jose (with 290 pax) 40 minutes late. Shortly after that, in Fremont, there was a train vs. trespasser incident, and the train was held for about 5 hours until released by the coroner (incident was reportedly determined to be a suicide). It departed Oakland's Jack London Square, the next stop, 5 hours and 47 minutes late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.