Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

can someone explain to me the logic of Amtrak's seat assignment policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

can someone explain to me the logic of Amtrak's seat assignment policy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I go on the Capitol Limited between WAS and EKH 3-4 times per year in each direction. When prices are cheap (between $200-300 each way), I'll book a sleeperette (or whatever the smaller compartment is called). This is a bargain and a great way to have private, almost luxurious travel. Often, the price of a sleeper is $500+ each way, so I'll take a coach seat, which sometimes is as low as $70 with the AAA discount. I generally end up sitting in the observation car for most of the trip, where I can spread out with my laptop on a table.

Anyhow, what happens at WAS Union Station when you are in coach is that passengers to certain destinations are compelled to sit in a certain car (often due to the size of the platform at the destination, often at the whim of the train crew, as this seems to change from train to train). Then, when you get to the door of the train, the conductor will give you a numbered slip of paper which is your seat number. The conductor thus will compel a single traveler to sit next to a stranger, even though the car may be half empty, and you may end up in an aisle seat, when what you want is a window. Even though the technology exists to pre-assign seats (for example, they pre-assign the sleeping compartments), Amtrak doesn't use it for coach.

To combat this, what I do is wait around on the train platform and let others get on ahead of me, in order to try to get on last, and then get my pick of seats in the rear of the car, since the conductor has forced everyone else to fill all the seats ahead of me. If I don't get a seat by myself, I head for the observation lounge car the moment after my ticket has been scanned by the conductor--this may not take place until Rockville, 16 miles and 35-40 minutes up the line (why they don't do this at the moment you get on the train is any one's guess).

Returning from Elkhart, the train stops twice there; once to pick up sleeping car pax, then again for the coach pax. They usually open the door to the middle of the three coach cars. Sometimes the conductor tells you to take a particular seat, usually one that has been vacated by a Chicago-originating pax at either SOB or EKH; sometimes he or she lets you take whatever seat you want that is open, and then gives you a paper check for the seat (which is slipped into a recess in the metal lining of the overhead shelf).
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:34 am

SNAFU

I ride the Crescent a half dozen times a year. There are usually plenty of empty pairs of seats from Atlanta to Greensboro, but I always get the same song and dance..."Big crowds up ahead". I will move if any couple need my space...but don't go off on your power trip with me thank you. Why not either do assigned seating through the website or just let people sit where they want to...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.