Newark airport question

Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Newark airport question

Hi,

I am not sure the best place to post this question. So please re-direct me if there is a better place for it.

I am planning to book an international flight that will arrive at the Newark Airport at 9:50PM. Then I want to take an 11:50PM AMTRAK train. My worry is that this is the last AMTRAK train for that night.

So this is my question: would a 2-hour gap be enough to clear customs and get the bags and go from the airport area to the AMTRAK area in Newark on a Wednesday night???

I would think that under normal conditions (no flight delay and no issue with customs), a 2-hour gap should be enough.

But can someone else share their experience in this regard? Your opinion is much appreciated~~~
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:11 am

Normally, I would say you'd have enough time. However, depending on your date of travel, you may not: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2520017...pended-75-days
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cranrob
Normally, I would say you'd have enough time. However, depending on your date of travel, you may not: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2520017...pended-75-days
Wow...I did not know this. Thanks for the information.

I will be traveling in early August. I think this certainly will affect me!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by sonicking

I'm not the best at math, but unless the work schedule slips, I don't think that's true?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by sonicking

At that time of night it won't make a big difference time wise at least !

Headway between buses might be an issue though.

Bob H
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Also - Just to be certain, where are you headed? Is it possibly somewhere also covered by NJ Transit?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Also - Just to be certain, where are you headed? Is it possibly somewhere also covered by NJ Transit?
If you are heading north as far as New York Penn Station or south as far as Trenton, NJ Transit will offer more and definitely less expensive options. None of the NJ Transit trains are reserved.

http://www.njtransit.com
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by cranrob
The press release says that "regular ticket fees apply" to the shuttle service from the airport to NWK. But it's not entirely clear what that means. Does it mean that the only passengers permitted to board the shuttle bus are those who have a ticket to/from EWR? I suppose that would be the easiest in terms of implementation since drivers would, in theory, not have to handle any cash transactions.

But it would kind of stink for Amtrak passengers since there are far more Amtrak options from NWK than there are from EWR. And if you have to ride a bus up to NWK anyhow, it would be nice to have access to those additional departure options instead of only being able to board trains that would have stopped at EWR.

I wonder, in practice, if shuttle bus drivers will actually enforce any such rule about having a train ticket to/from EWR.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
The press release says that "regular ticket fees apply" to the shuttle service from the airport to NWK. But it's not entirely clear what that means. Does it mean that the only passengers permitted to board the shuttle bus are those who have a ticket to/from EWR? I suppose that would be the easiest in terms of implementation since drivers would, in theory, not have to handle any cash transactions.

But it would kind of stink for Amtrak passengers since there are far more Amtrak options from NWK than there are from EWR. And if you have to ride a bus up to NWK anyhow, it would be nice to have access to those additional departure options instead of only being able to board trains that would have stopped at EWR.

I wonder, in practice, if shuttle bus drivers will actually enforce any such rule about having a train ticket to/from EWR.
Good point. I myself wondered how things will work exactly and be enforced. Do we need EWR tix like you surmised, or pay $8.25 (the fare between NWK and EWR)?

AirTrain closure will definitely affect me, since I will be flying internationally out of EWR during the time, and I was thinking about buying Amtrak ticket to EWR

FWIW, you can still buy Amtrak ticket to EWR during affected dates (at the present moment).

Last edited by radiowell; Apr 11, 2014 at 5:15 pm Reason: Added/deleted few things. My bad.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Note that NJ Transit's regular #62 bus offers frequent service between EWR and both the Elizabeth Rail Station (served by NJ Transit trains, but not by Amtrak) and Newark Penn Station. Taking this bus might be more convenient than taking the special shuttle bus.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:57 pm

To follow up on my previous post, I bit the bullet and bought the Amtrak EWR tix for May (before the prices go up!).

Now, I wait and see what will happen to the reservation (no change, unilateral cancel due to no EWR station, exchange to NWK, nobody knows!!).
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

I am going to fly to PHL instead. [My home is in Philadelphia anyway.]

But if I were going through EWR, I would have used my Amtrak rewards to reserve the Amtrak ticket.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
AirTrain EWR closure is super annoying. Not that it isn't super annoying to ride when it is running.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:18 am

Update:

Got an email from Amtrak.

Effective May 1, Amtrak service to Newark Airport is temporarily suspended due to Port Authority of New York & New Jersey repairs to AirTrain, which links the rail station and the airport. Substitute shuttle bus service to and from Newark Penn Station will be provided for airport passengers. No action is necessary on your part at this time. Amtrak will contact you with more details in the near future regarding your existing reservation. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Amtrak Customer Service
Old May 1, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
"regular ticket fees apply" to the shuttle service from the airport to NWK. But it's not entirely clear what that means.

I think that today is the first day for this setup. To get from NWK to EWR, I was charged $5.50 and the tickets are collected before boarding the bus. There are special vending machines setup for this. The busses stop at Terminals B, C, and A (in that order) and you transfer at A to go to the rental cars / P3 and P2 parking areas.

Coming back, I was told to buy an $8.50 EWR-NWK tkt but no one collected it so I'm not sure if it was necessary.

One word of caution: leave a lot of time. The traffic in downtown Newark right now is such that it took around 35 minutes to get from Terminal A to NWK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.