Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Long-Distance Train Amenities Being Cut

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines

A little surprised there wasn't a thread on this yet!

The following amenities are scheduled to be cut from long-distance trains (primarily impacting sleeping car passengers), as of the indicated dates. Note that several of these only apply to the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder (and one applies to those two plus the Lake Shore Limited), but some do apply to all trains:

• Cranberry juice boxes in sleeping cars (February 8)
  • Flowers and vases on dining car tables (February 15)
  • Wine & cheese receptions (March 31)
  • Complimentary champagne/apple cider (March 31)
  • Chocolate squares (March 31)
  • Amenity kits (May 31)
  • Complimentary newspapers (May 31)

On the first item: orange and apple juice boxes will still be available in sleeping cars, and cranberry juice will continue to be available in dining cars.

Original source for this was a leaked Amtrak memo, but it's been confirmed by other sources.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
This is rather disappointing, especially the wine and cheese receptions. I am traveling on the Coast Starlight in late April and was really looking forward to the wine tasting.

AGRInsider, is this information true?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Marriott, United
What a bummer---I was planning to make a trip next summer to celebrate my birthday on the Coast Starlight
in a sleeper. This brings it down a few notches.

Last edited by Jerseygirl17; Feb 8, 2014 at 10:24 pm Reason: name of train
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Armani
T3 is this information true?
Yes, I've heard from a friend that works at 30th st and it's described in detail at

http://trn.trains.com/en/Railroad%20...amenities.aspx

Bob H
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by BobH
Yes, I've heard from a friend that works at 30th st and it's described in detail at

Bob H
It is disappointing that Amtrak is following the path of Marriott and others regarding taking away important benefits valued by loyal customers in order to save a few dollars. I hope they don't eliminate the dinner in parlor car option for the Coast Starlight, or downgrade their food service again.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which apply to all trains? Flowers/vases and newspapers?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Huh. Sleepers are actually a profitable product (above the rails, at least). I don't guess that people will avoid booking a trip because a chocolate wasn't left on their pillow, but still...

I will miss the wine and cheese receptions, though. Those were always fun and a highlight of the trip, even if the wines were, at best, mid-range selections. And IME, they usually sold out, so at $5 a head (and not free to sleeper passengers), you'd think they weren't a money-pit...
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:11 pm

I haven't seen many of these amenities on the long distance trains I have taken, except the newspaper. I haven't received an amenity kit for over 10 years.

I actually will miss the newspaper because most trains I have taken have no wireless. I primarily only read newspapers now on trains and planes.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by jackal
Huh. Sleepers are actually a profitable product (above the rails, at least). I don't guess that people will avoid booking a trip because a chocolate wasn't left on their pillow, but still...

I will miss the wine and cheese receptions, though. Those were always fun and a highlight of the trip, even if the wines were, at best, mid-range selections. And IME, they usually sold out, so at $5 a head (and not free to sleeper passengers), you'd think they weren't a money-pit...
Just my luck. I'm planning a trip DEN/PDX in the early summer. Looks like I'll have to BYO.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by jackal
The Coast Starlight's wine-and-cheese reception returned to being offered at no additional charge (and to being solely for sleeping car passengers) a few years ago. I believe the Empire Builder and Lake Shore Limited wine-and-cheese events were always free to sleeping car passengers.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by trainman74
The Coast Starlight's wine-and-cheese reception returned to being offered at no additional charge (and to being solely for sleeping car passengers) a few years ago. I believe the Empire Builder and Lake Shore Limited wine-and-cheese events were always free to sleeping car passengers.
Darn. I'd rather see it return (re-return?) to a paid option rather than go away entirely.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:31 pm

Saving money not making money seems to be what businesses are about these days.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I do one or two sleepers a year. Of those on the list:
  • Cranberry juice boxes in sleeping cars (February 8): Darn, that was the tastiest juice
  • Flowers and vases on dining car tables (February 15): Really? It's a nice touch and costs little.
  • Wine & cheese receptions (March 31): Only saw it on one train...didn't go
  • Complimentary champagne/apple cider (March 31): Saw it on the Empire Builder in 2010, nothing since
  • Chocolate squares (March 31): Can't remember seeing this for years
  • Amenity kits (May 31): Again, can't remember seeing this for years
  • Complimentary newspapers (May 31): This I will miss, I like starting my day with the paper and very few stations have places you can buy papers at.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
What about hair dryers? Are they available to passengers in sleeping cars?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No hair dryers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.