Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Long-Distance Train Amenities Being Cut

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long-Distance Train Amenities Being Cut

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by trainman74
A little surprised there wasn't a thread on this yet!

The following amenities are scheduled to be cut from long-distance trains (primarily impacting sleeping car passengers), as of the indicated dates. Note that several of these only apply to the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder (and one applies to those two plus the Lake Shore Limited), but some do apply to all trains:

• Cranberry juice boxes in sleeping cars (February 8)
  • Flowers and vases on dining car tables (February 15)
  • Wine & cheese receptions (March 31)
  • Complimentary champagne/apple cider (March 31)
  • Chocolate squares (March 31)
  • Amenity kits (May 31)
  • Complimentary newspapers (May 31)

On the first item: orange and apple juice boxes will still be available in sleeping cars, and cranberry juice will continue to be available in dining cars.

Original source for this was a leaked Amtrak memo, but it's been confirmed by other sources.
I have a reservation on the Empire Builder connecting to Coast Starlight for 4/25. I just received an email from Amtrak mentioning that these services will be cut on or around 3/31. However, the email also mentioned there would no longer be an amenity kit, so I wonder if the timetable has changed. This is very disappointing because I reserved this trip a long time ago with the amenities (especially the wine/ cheese tasting on CS) as a key reason for this itinerary. I hope Amtrak offers some incentive for those of us who had reservations prior to the change. I would gladly pay a nominal fee for the wine tasting.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Armani
I have a reservation on the Empire Builder connecting to Coast Starlight for 4/25. I just received an email from Amtrak mentioning that these services will be cut on or around 3/31. However, the email also mentioned there would no longer be an amenity kit, so I wonder if the timetable has changed. This is very disappointing because I reserved this trip a long time ago with the amenities (especially the wine/ cheese tasting on CS) as a key reason for this itinerary. I hope Amtrak offers some incentive for those of us who had reservations prior to the change. I would gladly pay a nominal fee for the wine tasting.
The timetable wouldn't have been changed as a results of these cuts, but Amtrak does change it's schedules a few times a year.... typically around the time we spring forward, or fall back.

That said, many of us are surprised when the Builder runs it's entire route on time .... issues include traffic on the BNSF and this time of year flooding in ND.

Bob H
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by BobH
The timetable wouldn't have been changed as a results of these cuts, but Amtrak does change it's schedules a few times a year.... typically around the time we spring forward, or fall back.

That said, many of us are surprised when the Builder runs it's entire route on time .... issues include traffic on the BNSF and this time of year flooding in ND.

Bob H
He was talking about the timetable of the cuts. •Amenity kits (May 31)
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
'Tis a Pity

Yep, got the same email and having done the CS twice with full amenities it is a bit of a loss. BTW, there has always been a $5 charge for the wine and cheese tasting even if in a sleeping car. One has to wonder about the revenue exchange with typical full PPC of 40=$200 for each tasting. No more than 8-12 oz total of wine served per pax(three varieties), 1-3 oz of cheese as well. That would seem like a break-even deal for Amtrak-oh, they used to give away a bottle of wine to the winner of the trivia contest-I won it about three years back, tasty!

Happy Rails!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
'Builder delays

Originally Posted by BobH

Bob H
About three years back did CS and EB back to back: first EB running in three weeks due to flooding, camera crews were there to greet us at Essex Junction. So, got lucky then, last year on Cal Zephyr rerouting onto WY branch due to wildfires(read:BNSF backlog took priority, tracks apparently open). Boarding in GBB asked conductor if original Glenn Canyon, etc. routing in place, she made call: "Just for you, we are returning to original routing." Sense of humor...if not original routing, I was going to get off at Burlington, IA. Lucky again-hope you are as well.
Happy Rails!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:49 pm

These routes overall are a money loser for Amtrak. However, the sleeping car upgrade is a money maker, and the existence of it increases the number of passengers. Incremental passengers are a money maker. Even if the train overall loses money don't bite the hand that lays the golden eggs.

Amtrak has analogous faulty logic in the Northeast corridor. Cafe car loses money. Therefore raise prices in cafe car. Again the incremental passengers this loses were money makers.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by jake108
Yep, got the same email and having done the CS twice with full amenities it is a bit of a loss. BTW, there has always been a $5 charge for the wine and cheese tasting even if in a sleeping car.
This is not correct -- the charge for the CS wine tasting was relatively short-lived. Looking at my travel notes, there was definitely no charge in both 2002 and 2011; the charge was in effect at some point between those years (I can't find the exact dates).
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by trainman74
This is not correct -- the charge for the CS wine tasting was relatively short-lived. Looking at my travel notes, there was definitely no charge in both 2002 and 2011; the charge was in effect at some point between those years (I can't find the exact dates).
No charge for the wine tasting in March 2012, either.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:12 pm

Who recalls?

The "trac-paks" consisting of wine, cheese, crackers. The beautiful little pottery piece(signed)whenoin the Chief. Or the real leather photo album from the Lake Shore Ltd. I keep all these momemtos-alas, they remind me of better days, in some ways. Also miss the CBOE(Chief, On-Board Services)who could voucher you immediately for service disruption, etc.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:42 am

I just received this email announcement this morning for two EB and CS trips that I have in August. FWIW, the email begins with

In an effort to be good stewards of the federal funding received to operate our Amtrak service, a number of steps are being taken to eliminate losses in our Food and Beverage department over the next five years. Some of the changes being made to accomplish this include the discontinuation of select amenities on the Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, and Lake Shore Limited.
It's interesting - it sounds like Amtrak expects the dining/lounge car ("the Food and Beverage Department") to make a profit, or at least break even, on their own, independent of the transportation arm of the business. Kind of like a rolling restaurant that has to be financially sound in it's own right. I would think that at least some of the ticket cost would be allocated to covering the dining and lounge cars, but maybe not.

And the part about being "good stewards" sounds like spin doctoring to me - Amtrak wants to show Congress and the public that their money isn't being wasted.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Judging by the amount of sales I see, especially of alcohol, on long distance trains I'm surprised they don't break even on food and beverage.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 1:14 pm

$$$

Originally Posted by CMK10
Judging by the amount of sales I see, especially of alcohol, on long distance trains I'm surprised they don't break even on food and beverage.
Indeed, my observation as well-a slight drop-off in sales after ALB, perhaps due to the(usual)one hour service stop where some might roam 'round for some "duty-free" shopping. On my one-time full transcon, Sunset LTD, many, many years ago, did the same in Tucson with like-minded folks, an exhilarating run back to the soon-departing train.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jake108
Indeed, my observation as well-a slight drop-off in sales after ALB, perhaps due to the(usual)one hour service stop where some might roam 'round for some "duty-free" shopping. On my one-time full transcon, Sunset LTD, many, many years ago, did the same in Tucson with like-minded folks, an exhilarating run back to the soon-departing train.
I do two sleepers a year and I always find a place to stock up on booze ahead of time. I can get a fifth of Glenlivet for $29.99 which beats a mini bottle of Dewars for $7 any day.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Food & beverage operations have been money-losers for US railroads for decades, well before Amtrak. There is probably some fat that can be cut, but when airlines are adding all sorts of enhancements to premium-class travel (and cutting them from coach), I am surprised that Amtrak is doing the opposite.
Old May 5, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
On a recent Auto Train trip, the first class dining car crew was extremely unhappy over the changes. They expressed the thought that what was now being provided to customers in their dining car was anything but a first class experience and had gone very much downhill. To me, the elimination of wine-tasting and snacks was not a big deal (we brought our own wine, cheese and crackers). But the deterioration in the dining car was sad.

Last edited by ohmark; May 11, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.