Talk me out of an MR to hit S+?

Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Talk me out of an MR to hit S+?

It looks like I'm going to end the year with just shy of 8,500 points. I could make up the difference with a mid-day trip to Newark or New York upgraded to F each way on the Acela; with a 10 percent off coupon, that would price out to $273.60. (Or I could spend a whole lot more time and a little less money on 100-point runs to and from New Carrollton.) This seems like a foolish idea... perhaps almost as foolish as expecting FTers to discourage mileage running

But seriously: How much extra would you spend to reach S+, and what do you find valuable about that status?

(FWIW, I'm pretty sure I'll hit S+ without any extra effort by the end of next year.)
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
S+/Is it Worth It?

Since you LIve on the NEC and Travel on Ammtrak regularly it definitely is Worth it to Spend the $ to Qualify for S+! Just the Convenience of of the Club Acelas with Early Notice to Board and the Perks that Come with Select+ make it Worth it! The Short Point Runs are More Expensive on the NEC than where I Live, but there are only Two Trains a Day (Texas Eagles) so I have to make the Points Runs to get any Status with AGR! Go for the FC Ride on Acela and Enjoy the Ride! $200+ isn't that much Money for What you get in Return!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:30 am

I was in a similar boat this year. Do I redeem points for several trips to save money or keep them paid to hit S+ for next year? I chose not to go for it. My reasons:

-The extra 25% points would really only net me about 3,500 points next year.

-I haven't received my S package two years running without several calls or the assistance of AGR Insider (thank you again!). I'm doubtful I'd ever get the extra S+ coupons by mail so didn't consider that. I also usually travel Regional and prefer the quiet car over business anyways.

-S already gets you the preferred redemption line.

-I don't use NYP Club Acela. I rarely make it to WAS or PHL far enough ahead of departure to use Club Acela. If I were traveling out of either regularly and didn't cut it so close each time, using those clubs would probably be the biggest benefit to me.

-I would be nowhere near SE so just didn't consider that.

If I were within 1000 (maybe 1500 points at the most) I'd consider a MR. Otherwise, I didn't see the monetary payoff next year from being another level up. I'm planning to cut out a lot of train trips next year so I figured I'd just be chasing status for the sake of it.

I'm also just tired from traveling this year. Personally, I wouldn't want to do MR during the holidays when fares are higher and everything's crowded unless there's a really compelling reason.

That would be my attempt to talk you down from the ledge. If you're going to be closer and planning on using WAS a lot next year, maybe it's worth it for you.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Thanks for the input so far. One other factor I should note: as my profile notes, I spend an unhealthy amount of time flying United, so getting "free" United Club access would be a non-trivial benefit (recent downgrades to the free-beverage choices there notwithstanding).
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Thanks for the input so far. One other factor I should note: as my profile notes, I spend an unhealthy amount of time flying United, so getting "free" United Club access would be a non-trivial benefit (recent downgrades to the free-beverage choices there notwithstanding).
UC access is huge for me as an Amtrak+UA habitu, especially being a West Coaster. ^
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
That tips the scale. Just for the Amtrak benefits, IMO S+ is not worth any significant special effort. The rail benefits are just too thin. With UC in play, roughly a $400 purchase at United, then a MR (PR?) costing less than $300 is a good value.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:00 pm

Agreed, the UA benefit is probably the tipping point if you can take advantage of it.

If you get closer than 1,500 through your other travel, I would just knock out a couple of multi-city trips like WAS>NCR>BWI to save some cash.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ne52
If you get closer than 1,500 through your other travel, I would just knock out a couple of multi-city trips like WAS>NCR>BWI to save some cash.
You mean buy a series of tickets for each pair of stations, and at each station hop off and then back on the same train? I hadn't thought of that... and doing a WAS-NCR-BWI-BAL-ABE run twice would take less time than going all the way to NWK and back on the Acela, in addition to costing close to $100 less. Hmm. @:-)

Except it seems like Amtrak should frown on this tactic--if you pulled that stunt to NYP and back, you could easily clock 800 points one way.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
You mean buy a series of tickets for each pair of stations, and at each station hop off and then back on the same train? I hadn't thought of that... and doing a WAS-NCR-BWI-BAL-ABE run twice would take less time than going all the way to NWK and back on the Acela, in addition to costing close to $100 less. Hmm. @:-)

Except it seems like Amtrak should frown on this tactic--if you pulled that stunt to NYP and back, you could easily clock 800 points one way.
You can earn a maximum of 4 segments per day, and you need to board a different train. Segments 5+ will earn 0 points, and if you scan a second segment for the same train number you've already scanned, you'll earn 0 points for that, too.

So, the best you could do is WAS-NCR-BWI-NCR-WAS, taking four separate trains (and waiting the hour-ish between trains at each station) for 400 points. Rinse and repeat a few more times to get the points you need. It'll take you 4 days and cost you $120. Up to you if the time spent is worth it.

I agree with the others that the S+ benefits are pretty much worthless. The only reason I push for it is the UC access. Now, if AGR implemented even a small fraction of the suggested improvements in this thread, one could make the argument that S+ is worth pushing for on its own.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Much appreciated, jackal! Shoulda known that seemed way too easy

Looks like it would take about five hours all told for each WAS-NCR-BWI-NCR-WAS run. OTOH, the inadequate WiFi on regional trains makes goofing off online at the usual sites a painful chore, so I might be more productive than usual over those five hours.

Last edited by DCA writer; Dec 11, 2013 at 2:50 pm Reason: spelling mistakes bug me.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
Had a friend of mine that did a very similar MR (specifically BAL-BWI-NCR-WAS-BAL) and you have to be careful not to miss getting your ticket scanned assuming you're doing multi-city on one PNR. If a conductor doesn't check you in on any of the legs, all the subsequent legs can be cancelled if enough time passes.

Besides that, it might be worth exchanging BWI for BAL and taking in a quick bite to eat in Baltimore. It certainly makes the breaks between legs more tolerable (though with the recent BWI pre-security renovations you might find it surprisingly pleasant to take a jaunt over there during your "layover")!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:08 pm

You can do a max of 4 legs per day. Use the multi-city booking and just use your 'layover' station as the first destination. It has to be a physically different train for each leg to count though. Like others said, make sure you get your ticket scanned at NCR. Boarding at the cafe car should help guarantee it.

I'm assuming you are starting out at WAS. Almost every Regional is stopping at NCR so if you hit it in peak hour, you're only waiting there 45 minutes. For the sake of splitting hairs on the internet, I just ran a trip on 12/26 since it's 2 weeks out and not a holiday. For the first result of the day: WAS-NCR-BWI. 41 min layover at NCR. 1:48 for the total trip with $26 fare before any discounts.

So round trip you'd have $52 and 400 points with about 4 hours down the drain. You're back in WAS though and didn't commit a full day to MR. The alternative is to knock it out at once on the Acela for 500+ each way but it's $100+ for the leg.

It all depends how close you get to S+ with your other travel. 1,500 via FC Acela RT may be overkill if you only need a few hundred points. On the other hand, if you're trying to work during the MR, the single seat may be the way to go.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, ne52. Further investigation revealed that the price for a four-segment WAS-NCR-BWI-NCR-WAS itinerary was also about $26, and spending another dollar to turn around at Baltimore would allow me to wait between trains in the slightly more welcoming confines of BWI and BAL--and, at least on the itinerary I tried, that wouldn't eat up any more time. Any reason why that wouldn't work?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:12 pm

I think that sounds fine as long as you follow all the other rules about different trains and don't hit delays.

The biggest concern would be getting scanned between NCR and WAS in either direction. You'll probably have to seek out the conductor. On that note, you may want to see if the price for 4 one-ways is the same as the multi-city ticket. That way if one of the early legs isn't scanned, the rest of the itinerary doesn't get screwed up or cancel out. You can then just request the missing points for that single leg later on but not ruin your day.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ne52
The biggest concern would be getting scanned between NCR and WAS in either direction.
Understood, which is why I decided to make BWI my 1/4 and 3/4 stop. It's still only 13 or 14 minutes from BWI to and from BAL, but I figure the conductors are more accustomed to people hopping on Amtrak for that run. And Baltimore Penn Station is a much nicer place to wait between trains than BWI's Amshack.

I did check prices for one ways, and they're about twice as expensive. Amtrak seems to be leaving some money on the table with this multi-city fare--but the railroad has already done well by me this year

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.