Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

We're adding our Redemption Guidelines to the AGR Web site tomorrow (June 6th)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Amtrak's redemption guidelines are available at https://amtrakguestrewards.com/info/...tionguidelines.
Print Wikipost

We're adding our Redemption Guidelines to the AGR Web site tomorrow (June 6th)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AGR Insider
Go try GPK-TUS now ^
Odd, but GPK-TUS still gives me an error, even on dates where I've confirmed purchased seat availability on amtrak.com and Amsnag.

We were unable to process your request: Please correct the error(s) shown below and resubmit.
We are unable to process your redemption request online.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:06 am
Company Representative - Amtrak
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
You can't actually book a multi-segment redemption reservation online. That's a system limitation. The benefit of the routing addition is that agents will now see that route in the automatically generated connection display.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: AGR
Just one question.... why CBS?
Because you mentioned it?

I know that people use strategic cities to force awesome awards for low point values, but some people do live there! Sadly, I'm not one of them, as a full time job doesn't give me the time to travel that I want.

The general question was really just to confirm that the "23.5 hour rule" could be used in any of the multiple situations where there isn't a same day connection in CHI (primarily from one western train to another) to avoid a circuitous routing via the west coast. For folks that actually use Amtrak for basic transportation as opposed to a land cruise (no value judgement there, I use Amtrak for both!), this could be a big help.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:24 am

While on the topic of missing connections, I'd like to point out that all connections from the Heartland Flyer to the Missouri River Runner (even KCY) are missing. I was looking at booking a round-trip ticket for an elderly family member JEF-OKC and it allows that routing, but the return, while a perfectly good connection from the Texas Eagle to the Missouri River Runner, is not available.

Every option available from FTW should be available when booking from any station on the Heartland Flyer route. I often have to search with FTW as my origination point to see what choices there actually are from OKC.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:51 pm

One thing I keep hoping to see after a site update is a new AGR map. I live & travel near several borders, and it would be nice to see which stations are in which zone. The stations aren't labeled, and the current map is very old - it still has the Three Rivers on it, which hasn't been in operation for 8 years.

Secondly, while I agree with the point re-allocation a while ago that made bedrooms 2x the price of a roomette, I don't think that the current redeemption zones make sense. Practically, there is no "3 zone" roomette redeemption. One zone is 15,000 points, 2 zones is 20,000 points, but 3 zones is 35,000 points. So, a 3 zone trip is the same cost as a 2 zone trip and a 1 zone trip, saving you nothing over booking a shorter trip. Bedrooms, on the other hand, are 60,000 for a 3 zone trip, which is cheaper than a 2 zone & 1 zone combined. I really think a 3-zone roomette ought to be 30,000 points: this would be double the bedroom cost (just like a 2 zone trip), and reflect the same 5,000 point savings on a 3 zone trip that is reflected in the bedroom 3 zone rate.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors
Thanks to the AGR Insider, Amtrak operations has already fixed the missed connection between the Silver Meteor and the Cardinal that I posted about earlier.

I really appreciate how helpful the Insider has been to fix problems and answer all of our questions!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dart330
While on the topic of missing connections, I'd like to point out that all connections from the Heartland Flyer to the Missouri River Runner (even KCY) are missing. I was looking at booking a round-trip ticket for an elderly family member JEF-OKC and it allows that routing, but the return, while a perfectly good connection from the Texas Eagle to the Missouri River Runner, is not available.

Every option available from FTW should be available when booking from any station on the Heartland Flyer route. I often have to search with FTW as my origination point to see what choices there actually are from OKC.
Operations approved this one, as well. Go check OKC-JEF.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:41 pm

Operations approved this one, as well. Go check OKC-JEF.
Wow, thanks so much for the help! It is really great to have a place where we can submit these station pairs missing from the system.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
Question Roomette Redemption vs, Bedrooms/AGR Zone Map

^AGR Insider: This is an Excellent Post! Could you pleaee look into this and Give us an Answer, Hopefully it can be Updated/Fixed ASAP!! Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amamba
AGR Insider - Thank you very much for posting these guidelines.

I also have concerns about the "legitimate routings" that Arrow spits out at amtrak.com. For example, I can get amtrak.com to display lots of routings I am interested in taking from NYP to various points across the country, but when I add my home city of PVD, the route doesn't appear. However, there are plenty of regionals that I could take that would get me to NYP in plenty of time to make the connection.

What happens then? Do I have to pay for the regional from PVD - NYP for the routing or burn 8,000 points on top of a 40K bedroom redemption for two zones?
Connection was approved (i.e. PVD-HOS) - it now displays on weekdays as well, not just weekends like before.

Last edited by AGR Insider; Jun 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D.P. Roberts
One thing I keep hoping to see after a site update is a new AGR map. I live & travel near several borders, and it would be nice to see which stations are in which zone. The stations aren't labeled, and the current map is very old - it still has the Three Rivers on it, which hasn't been in operation for 8 years.
As previously stated in the dedicated "AGR Zone Map" thread on this forum, a new map is planned. We are well aware that a better map is desired by many. We are working on refreshing the graphical design of the entire site and will roll in the updated zone map with those graphical updates later this year. In the meantime, if anyone has specific questions about zone boundary cities, first check my responses in that thread and then feel free to reach out to me for additional clarification if needed.

Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
You could also look at this old (2005) version from Wayback.

AGR Zones
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: Amtrak
I have a question about the "sleeper" exception:

Alternate direct routing" where the published route is a crazy train/bus combo and a better, all-sleeper train-train connection exists -- this is intended to cover sensible, direct unpublished routes
Based on the spirit of the rule, could the word "all" in " better, all-sleeper train-train connection" be eliminated, and let the word "better" suffice.

In my case a short corridor train segment is necessary to access the national system. The short segment doesn't have sleepers, nor would I need or want one (BC here is appreciated). But I wouldn't want an agent to disallow the exception because of the word "all".
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by jobtraklite
I have a question about the "sleeper" exception:

Based on the spirit of the rule, could the word "all" in " better, all-sleeper train-train connection" be eliminated, and let the word "better" suffice.

In my case a short corridor train segment is necessary to access the national system. The short segment doesn't have sleepers, nor would I need or want one (BC here is appreciated). But I wouldn't want an agent to disallow the exception because of the word "all".
That sounds like what I would want if going on the Coast Starlight to Vancouver, BC. The published route involves a bus to Vancouver after the Coast Starlight terminates in Seattle. I would prefer to wait until the next morning for the Cascades train to Vancouver even though it means overnighting in Seattle on my dime. There's nothing in the rules that seems to allow this.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: Amtrak
Originally Posted by adavidw
That sounds like what I would want if going on the Coast Starlight to Vancouver, BC. The published route involves a bus to Vancouver after the Coast Starlight terminates in Seattle. I would prefer to wait until the next morning for the Cascades train to Vancouver even though it means overnighting in Seattle on my dime. There's nothing in the rules that seems to allow this.
Sounds like it's the bus, as well as the lack of sleeper accommodations, that makes a published route undesirable.

It appears that a solution to the "published route" syndrome is in place. If it works, that should make the sleeper and 23.5 hr exception rules obsolete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.