Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has WIFI been improved?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've used the Wifi on a pair on NER trains this year. On the first one it was barely usable while on the second one it was actually not half bad. So basically, like everything else with Amtrak it's inconsistent.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CMK10
I've used the Wifi on a pair on NER trains this year. On the first one it was barely usable while on the second one it was actually not half bad. So basically, like everything else with Amtrak it's inconsistent.
That answers my question about Wifi performance on my upcoming 6:55am NER to Boston. Count on nothing! What about Verizon cellular data?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Analise
That answers my question about Wifi performance on my upcoming 6:55am NER to Boston. Count on nothing! What about Verizon cellular data?
Verizon works great all the way between NHV and WAS (with just a few little blank spots, like when you are under the Baltimore Harbor). I don't ever bother with Amtrak WiFi. I have much less detailed experience between NHV and BOS, but I think it it pretty reasonable.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
"Used" it RT Metropark to Union Station this week. Terrible both ways
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I have found that it hasn't been that bad between NYP and BOS. If the train is < 75% full it is pretty quick. On sold out summer trains it takes some patience and some different website navigation skills (like loading multiple websites while at a station with a good connection).

Has anyone else seen the new logon page? They did a great job improving it and providing information on the location of the train.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I took the Adirondack from New York to Montreal last week and the Wifi was frankly terrible. It didn't work at all for long stretches of times and at others it was barely usable. It was slightly better on my phone but using it on my computer was a waste of effort. I wish they'd either sell a premium version or make it all for pay because as of now it's the next thing to useless.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
My experience is this depends on the equipment being used.

I've been on trains where there were many people, but the service was slow. I've been on a train where we had NO service at all.

Seems Amtrak is paying more attention to the wifi on board as it's a prime marketing tool.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I tried it last night on NER... terrible.

Only sites I could access without multi-minute delays were sites somehow related to AMTRAK.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: Amtrak, Southwest, Choice Hotels, AAdvantage, Alaska
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I tried it last night on NER... terrible.

Only sites I could access without multi-minute delays were sites somehow related to AMTRAK.
The new logon screen is one of the best I've ever seen anywhere. The WiFi itself is fine where tracks run close to highways, and crap where they don't. Duh, right? By the way, I also carry a MiFi box, and where Amtrak's WiFi stinks, so does my own device. No surprise. It's called lack of cellular signal. You want to experience "lack of signal" raised to an art form? Try the Cardinal south and west of Charlottesville, VA. Whoa!

Last edited by VKurtB; Aug 28, 2015 at 12:03 pm
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by VKurtB
The new logon screen is one of the best I've ever seen anywhere. The WiFi itself is fine where tracks run close to highways, and crap where they don't. Duh, right? By the way, I also carry a MiFi box, and where Amtrak's WiFi stinks, so does my own device. No surprise. It's called lack of cellular signal. You want to experience "lack of signal" raised to an art form? Try the Cardinal south and west of Charlottesville, VA. Whoa!
Perhaps.

However, my experience this week indicated a train-specific quality issue.

Northbound from PHL to NYC during the morning, I had no problem.

Southbound from NYC to PHL, late evening, with a very empty train... unusable.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Perhaps.

However, my experience this week indicated a train-specific quality issue.

Northbound from PHL to NYC during the morning, I had no problem.

Southbound from NYC to PHL, late evening, with a very empty train... unusable.
Funny you should say that (funny strange, not funny ha-ha). Cellular acquired WiFi has been undergoing a general degradation in speed very recently in my experience. I own TWO different brands of portable WiFi boxes with two different carriers. In the last 60 days or so their speeds have both become HORRENDOUS on far too many occasions. I have no idea what kind of router hardware Amtrak is running, but two different personal devices on two different carriers both going all molasses in January slow at the same time might speak to a systemic issue - like too many people hitting cellular due to device overload.

If all these new users would just realize that this service is for me, not everybody. \snicker (Have I made the sarcasm clear enough?)
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: moka Lifetime
Although not specific for this thread, this is a good place for me to ask..

Does anyone have a hotspot that they use on the NER? Which company has the best service/plans?

I only travel 2-3x a month, but absolutely need wifi when I do.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Based on LOSSAN's doc http://www.octa.net/pdf/LOSSAN%20Bus...an%20FINAL.pdf
It looks like in California, the State and local agencies managing the Amtrak services are looking to invest in better internet and not wait for a national solution.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:52 am

I have a theory, and right now that's all it is, about recent degradation of WiFi both on Amtrak and generally. I hate to say it, because I love the company's products, but it might be Apple's fault. Why?

Both the brand new Apple Music, and the few months ago altered Photos app in iOS are, at least until they get all internally set-up, BANDWIDTH HOGS! The user gets no indication but both Music and Photos are chewing up massively more bandwidth than their predecessor products. Photos needs to upload every photo from every Apple device you have onto their servers, and then download a version of it onto each other Mac or iOS device you own, IF you use Photo syncing, which is now defaulted ON, and you get NO indication how much bandwidth you're chewing up, but you ARE chewing. It affects YOUR page loads, AND everyone else's.

Second, Apple Music. There are two "gimme my stuff so I can play it where I want" portions to the Music app. It used to be that if you wanted to have tune X readily available, you have to have it on your device. No more. In Apple Music, Apple has fallen in love with "streaming". Streaming is also known as bandwidth hogging. The other and older way to get your stuff on your earbuds is the older and less hoggish iTunes Match. When you obtain a new device, iTunes Match is ALSO a bandwidth hog, until it gets all set up, which can take weeks, really it can. After it does get all set up, the only way you are a bandwidth hog is when you choose to listen to a track NOT on that particular device. Streaming Apple Music is ALWAYS hogging bandwidth for ALL songs.

So some of this bad WiFI we're all seeing is the fault of our device supplier, not our WiFi one. Apple built these services for the Silicon Valley, where wireless bandwidth is massively over-available and massively cheap, almost zero cost. Hey Apple, the NEC ain't like that. If Apple and Google want to wage this services war, we're ALL going to need to invest in MASSIVE build-out of additional bandwidth infrastructure. Until then, at least when you're on Amtrak, use your Apple device with its 2010 level capabilities, and we just might all have a better WiFi experience. Download your roadtrip tunes to your device before you go, as in the old days, and turn off your Photo library syncing. Then you can safely take off the pig snout.

Last edited by VKurtB; Sep 2, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: moka Lifetime
Went back and forth today from BAL-NYP. Wifi was ok for basic googling and news, but forget about pulling up any heavy web pages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.