Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Possible EuroStar partnership on the horizon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Just got an email to complete a survey. After getting through the "screening" questions the meat of the content was all about a possible earn and burn partnership with EuroStar. Very appealing, I'd say, at least until we find out what the rates are.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...oining-forces/
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Interesting concept, indeed (and thanks for posting, since not all of us got the survey).

But I wish AGR would start a little closer to home. It's sad that, on the heels of AGR's 12th anniversary, there's still no partnership VIA Rail Canada Préférence. In fact, the only real Amtrak-VIA marketing partnership (the North American Rail Pass) was eliminated a few years back. Préférence actually even has an agreement with SNCF (France), but nothing with AGR.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Interesting concept, indeed (and thanks for posting, since not all of us got the survey).

But I wish AGR would start a little closer to home. It's sad that, on the heels of AGR's 12th anniversary, there's still no partnership VIA Rail Canada Préférence. In fact, the only real Amtrak-VIA marketing partnership (the North American Rail Pass) was eliminated a few years back. Préférence actually even has an agreement with SNCF (France), but nothing with AGR.
+1
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Préférence actually even has an agreement with SNCF (France), but nothing with AGR.
Perhaps it's the language barrier
They certainly do have a very odd earning/burning chart, though, reflecting the very different desirability of their routes.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:20 am

Since Eurostar runs the chunnel train from England to France, does this mean it may be possible in the next few years to take a chunnel-like train from Manhattan to London and then connect to the Eurostar in Paris.

I suppose it may be a few years on the horizon, but, assiming the partership is true and such a train may come to fruition, how many zones do you think this would be?

A current AGR redemtion from New York to Los Angeles is 3 zones, so would a trip from New York to Paris be considered 4 zones or even 5?

Definitely planning to start banking the AGR points now and start learning to speak French!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Since Eurostar runs the chunnel train from England to France, does this mean it may be possible in the next few years to take a chunnel-like train from Manhattan to London and then connect to the Eurostar in Paris.
I assume you're joking, but at the very least I feel compelled to point out that a tunnel between NYC and London would be a shoo-in for the world's least-scenic train trip!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
I assume you're joking, but at the very least I feel compelled to point out that a tunnel between NYC and London would be a shoo-in for the world's least-scenic train trip!
A series of bridges between Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, and Ireland wouldn't be, though!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
I agree that Amtrak should also do a North American partnership "closer to home". A potential Amtrak partnership with Eurostar however, can be quite interesting. Perhaps in the future, Amtrak can also partner not just with Eurostar, but with the Rail Team, which is a rail group, equivalent to an airline group like *A, OW or ST. Eurostar belongs to the Rail Team, and so does SNCF, DB, Thalys and SBB.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:53 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
The 250 bonus points for completing this survey posted to my AGR account today.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Wow. I'm imagining how nice it would be if I could use my thousands of AGR points for my weekly Eurostar journeys…
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
What about Parterning with something Closer to Home like VIA in Canada eh! The old North American Rail Pass used to be a great way to ride Amtrak and VIA all over North America! Id think more of us would use that than the Trains in Europe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.