NYP - Downstairs Boarding Stopped

Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I boarded an Acela from downstairs a few days ago. No issues at all.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
No issues tonight for train 94 at ~6:00
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:50 pm

Where is gate info posted?

Greetings,

I was able to board train 57 from NYP to WAS from downstairs last night.

How do folks find out what gate to use when downstairs? Do they just listen for the announcement, or is it posted somewhere? I like to avoid the waiting area level altogether.

The monitors downstairs seem to display NJ Transit only. The app and website don't show the gate. How do you know what gate to use, if you don't hear the announcement?

Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by dwan
How do folks find out what gate to use when downstairs? Do they just listen for the announcement, or is it posted somewhere? I like to avoid the waiting area level altogether.
The only way to tell is if you're riding a train that does not originate in NYC and if they post the track on the arrivals board before they make the departure announcement (which they usually but do not always do). So, for example, I usually am riding a Boston-bound train that originated in Washington, DC. So I find my train on the arrivals board by looking for a train arriving from Washington, DC that has the same train number as my departure to Boston. Usually they'll post the arrival track several minutes before the train arrives in the station, giving you time to get to the track level before the train is there, and before they've announced the departure track over the PA. I don't think there are any monitors showing arrivals on the lower level. There are two on the upper level by the entrance to the station at 8th Ave. and 31st St., two on the upper level by the entrance to the station at 8th Ave. and 33rd St., and two on the upper level by the entrance to the station off of the connector road (now closed to traffic) that runs under MSG between 31st and 33rd Sts., halfway between 7th and 8th Avenues.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm confused. The monitors on the lower level listing the Amtrak departures have been removed?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by nerd
I'm confused. The monitors on the lower level listing the Amtrak departures have been removed?
No they haven't. They last post was saying that the Arrival boards on the upper level give you a heads up over the departures boards elsewhere in the station (there are no arrival boards on the lower level).

There are still departure boards on the lower level.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Last I knew the NJT monitors did show the Amtrak departures right along with the NJT departures. The train numbers start with an A and the destinations are typically not places served by NJT and they show up in a yellow colored bar. At the worst, one could stand at the bottom of the stairs and look up to the upper level and still see the Solaria board too.

However, one can also monitor Amtrak's departure via the NJT Departure Vision website. The track numbers still show up at that website, I just checked, right along with the NJT train track numbers. And last I knew, Departure Vision took it's info right from the PSCC info that shows on the NJT monitors.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
They were still there as of a couple days ago.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:28 pm

Thanks for the great info. Is everyone talking about the same small monitors near the stairs that NJ Transit passengers huddle around? I did not see the Amtrak trains listed among NJ Transit trains, as they are on the big board in the upstairs waiting area. I will look more carefully next time for the yellow entry.

Thanks also for the link, AlanB!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does Penn Station still have the separate green-screen Amtrak monitors? (I haven't taken Amtrak out of Penn in almost a year):

Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by nerd
Does Penn Station still have the separate green-screen Amtrak monitors? (I haven't taken Amtrak out of Penn in almost a year):

Yes. And in the locations I indicated on the upper level, there are separate screens showing Amtrak departures AND Amtrak arrivals. On the lower level, they only show departures.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:08 am

Other SIDs?

Here's the page from which one can select any NJ Transit station and view realtime track info:
http://m.njtransit.com/mo/mo_servlet...ageAction=DvTo

Originally Posted by AlanB
However, one can also monitor Amtrak's departure via the NJT Departure Vision website. The track numbers still show up at that website, I just checked, right along with the NJT train track numbers. And last I knew, Departure Vision took it's info right from the PSCC info that shows on the NJT monitors.

Last edited by dwan; Feb 26, 2016 at 12:33 pm
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
The green screen is also in Club Acela behind the front desk.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: IHG/HHonors/AGR
Does anyone know whether the green screens at NYP are maintained by Amtrak and the multicolored screens by NJ Transit? I'm wondering who is in charge of these monitors as a few at Newark Penn Station are not functioning. Would be great to get the NWK screens up & running in terms of convenience. Thanks.

Last edited by gacman17; Feb 29, 2016 at 9:50 pm Reason: I dropped a word
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by gacman17
Does anyone know whether the green screens at NYP are maintained by Amtrak and the multicolored screens by NJ Transit? I'm wondering who is in charge of these monitors as a few at Newark Penn Station are not functioning. Would be great to get the NWK screens up & running in terms of convenience. Thanks.
I assume the green screens are maintained by Amtrak, since that's what's in Club Acela.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.