Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Dynamic pricing on certain Acela rides

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K_MM, AA EX_PLT Hyatt/Hilton Dia, Mar Gold, IHG PLT, Amtrak S++, Hertz 5Star, Avis First

For a long time, I think in order to get the lower fare bucket, one should book as early as possible. Typically as time draws near, lower fare buckets disappear.

This theory appears to no longer hold water. There are certain schedules such as Monday morning 5am, 6am, or 7am BOS to NYP, with only top two fare buckets available as I have noticed, regardless of how far in advance one books.

In some cases, when time draws near, and not enough seats sold, lower fare buckets magically appear.

I just noticed something like that. My Sep 4 6am train, booked more than 10 days ago, now dropped by at least $24. It is very annoying, to say the least.

Do other people have similar experiences? How far in advance do you now book?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has been reported a couple of times over the past year - Acela trains not opening in the lowest fare bucket.

But you can always cancel and re-book (outside of 24h) with no change fee - how annoying!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K_MM, AA EX_PLT Hyatt/Hilton Dia, Mar Gold, IHG PLT, Amtrak S++, Hertz 5Star, Avis First
1. Assuming you can make a booking, and have it hold for a long time without actual ticketing. I thought the hold-time policy has also changed.

2. All in all, I managed to get a $49 price savings. That is just unreal!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: Amtrak Select
Yes I have noticed this and it has been reported on this forum before. The good thing is that if you book, just keep watching the prices and then rebook at the lower price and cancel the original reservation - as long as you do it 24 hours in advance you will get a full refund.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Just like JT_BOS said, same thing happened to me a week ago: Booked an Acela trip at $156 about a month out, and three days before travel it was down to $104. Cancel, rebook, save. Easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.