Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: AGR Select+, Hilton Gold, Luv SWA, wish their points wud transfer to Amtrak.....
Originally Posted by amamba
They use real plates & cups on the EB, CS and CL I believe.
You are correct, a select few LD Trains do use china-ware for some of the meals they serve, notably the EB, but not always for all meals.....

I guess I continue this rant across several foums, because I know first hand how really EZ this would be.

And, I'd guess a high number of posters have never experienced what "really, really, top-notch service" can be/was had on Amtrak years ago, with the same, or worse, equipment that is in service today.

That, and I think a lot of frequent riders are just "happy to have LD Trains to even ride, and would 'settle' for being served almost anything in a dining car."

Can you say, "Modified Meal Service"? Oh the horror........ Of course this staggered seating plan they now use SUX too, but with the limited staffing, it's a neccessity
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by rrdude
Can you say, "Modified Meal Service"? Oh the horror........ Of course this staggered seating plan they now use SUX too, but with the limited staffing, it's a neccessity
Actually, IMHO, the staggered seating is only bad from a revenue point of view, since you're not maximizing every table. But from a passenger's point of view, when the crew is doing it right, it is actually better than the old way. The old way when you filled up the entire diner all at once, the staff was overwhelmed. Even in a regular restaurant, generally no waiter has all 5 or 6 tables in their section arrive all at once.

Normally one table just sat down, one is on salads, one is on the main meal, one is on desert, etc. But with the filler up method, you've instantly got 5 or 6 tables, all wanting things at exactly the same time. I find that generally, yes there are crews that are hopeless, with staggered seating that I'm not waiting for things as long as I used to wait for things.

So while I lament the loss of revenue for Amtrak because of the staggered seating system, I like it from the customer side of things.

I do agree about the plastic/glass thing, and as I pointed out many years ago in a post on Amtrak Unlimited, all Amtrak did was rearrange the deck chairs; the ship is still sinking. Congress wanted food service costs cut. Amtrak pulled that off by cutting staff and charging other departments for costs that didn't use to existing; namely trash hauling. But that's not part of the food service budget. So they met the Congressional mandate.

Stupid, but then so was the Congressional meddling that led to the plan.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:53 am

Yesterday's Washington Post had an article about getting well-known chefs involved in helping revamp the diner menu.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I wish you got real glassware if you purchased alcohol. There's something about a drink in a plastic cup that's so uncivilized. It's bad enough in my room drinking the scotch I brought in the same cups they put near the no-name juice but in the diner where I'm paying $7 for a beer? Come on!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
My rant on the catering side is regarding the lack of choice on the trains.
When we rode the CS train in early may we were at the end of their 4 trip cycle which meant that by lunch on day 2 there was a very limited selection and an even more limited selection for dinner and they only just about managed to feed the sleeper pax with the food they had on board.
The supplies were also limited on the SWC and the Cardinal later on that week.
I can understand Amtrak running low on some fresh food items but to struggle like they did on these trips is a new one on me.
Is this getting to be the norm' rather than the exception to the rule?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by Tanya934
When we rode the CS train in early may we were at the end of their 4 trip cycle which meant that by lunch on day 2 there was a very limited selection and an even more limited selection for dinner and they only just about managed to feed the sleeper pax with the food they had on board.
4 trip cycle?

The CS is restocked both in LA & Seattle. Unless it is badly delayed, it never goes more than 2 days without being restocked.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
It has a mid-route re-stock in Oakland as well. Not an extensive full-restock but items suchs as beverages, rolls, and BBQ sauce.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by rrdude
And, I'd guess a high number of posters have never experienced what "really, really, top-notch service" can be/was had on Amtrak years ago, with the same, or worse, equipment that is in service today.

That, and I think a lot of frequent riders are just "happy to have LD Trains to even ride, and would 'settle' for being served almost anything in a dining car."
Sad but true... With ever diminishing service standards over the past forty years - and not just on Amtrak - many American consumers simply have little idea what truly good service is anymore. Oh well. Whatever. Our server was friendly, though. She told us to "Have a nice day". So the service was really good.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
"She told us to "Have a nice day". So the service was really good."

Yup. That's all it takes.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
May I revive this thread with some actual content?

Lake Shore Limited (Train 49)
Dinner, October 6, 2013

Chile-braised beef short rib.

Cheesecake with blueberry topping.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Southwest Chief (Train 3)
Dinner, October 7, 2013

Mahi-mahi with poblano verde salsa.

Triple chocolate mousse parfait.

Breakfast, October 8, 2013

French toast with a side of bacon.

Lunch, October 8, 2013

Bratwurst on a pretzel roll with lettuce-tomato slaw topping (forgot to take a photo until after I'd put mustard on it and taken a bite).
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:42 pm

Dinner, October 8, 2013

Amtrak Signature Steak.

Cheesecake with raspberry topping.

I also had two scrambled-egg breakfasts on the trip, both of which I neglected to take photos of (too early in the morning).

All of the entrees were very good, at all meals -- probably the biggest "surprise" was the bratwurst, which made me wish I was getting more than just that one lunch on this trip. I wasn't a fan of the corn-intensive "vegetable medley" on the Southwest Chief, but only because I'm not a fan of corn served in that manner.

Desserts were nothing special -- I definitely preferred the Lake Shore Limited crew taking the cheesecake out of its container first.

Rolls and salads were, um, rolls and salads. That Newman's Own parmesan-and-garlic dressing is excellent, though.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by trainman74
Dinner, October 8, 2013

Amtrak Signature Steak.

Cheesecake with raspberry topping.

I also had two scrambled-egg breakfasts on the trip, both of which I neglected to take photos of (too early in the morning).

All of the entrees were very good, at all meals -- probably the biggest "surprise" was the bratwurst, which made me wish I was getting more than just that one lunch on this trip. I wasn't a fan of the corn-intensive "vegetable medley" on the Southwest Chief, but only because I'm not a fan of corn served in that manner.

Desserts were nothing special -- I definitely preferred the Lake Shore Limited crew taking the cheesecake out of its container first.

Rolls and salads were, um, rolls and salads. That Newman's Own parmesan-and-garlic dressing is excellent, though.
I've never had a meal on Amtrak, so forgive the question, but what is the item next to your steak? (in a plastic baggie-like container) Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMom
I've never had a meal on Amtrak, so forgive the question, but what is the item next to your steak? (in a plastic baggie-like container) Thanks.
The little white container is sour cream for the baked potato.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Train: 59 (City of New Orleans)
Class: Sleeper
Where: Dining Car
When: December 17, Breakfast

Same menu and meals as I'd had on the California Zephyr back in June, except then they brought the burrito with sides. This time all I got was the burrito. I did get some potatoes when I asked but bad service overall.

I will note, however, that despite this train being an 8:05 PM departure from Chicago they do serve dinner at 8:30 which I was very surprised by. Unfortunately, I'd eaten downtown and had to pass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.