Amtrak Baggage

Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Amtrak Baggage

I am going on a San Joaquin from Emeryville to Merced and then return. I am not from America and have never been with Amtrak before. We are not sure whether one of our bags will fit the dimension for carry on so we might have to check it.
How does checked baggage work and will it be at Merced when we get off the train?
If we take carry on where do you leave your bags and do you have to lug them into overhead racks?

Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by rixie888
I am going on a San Joaquin from Emeryville to Merced and then return. I am not from America and have never been with Amtrak before. We are not sure whether one of our bags will fit the dimension for carry on so we might have to check it.
How does checked baggage work and will it be at Merced when we get off the train?
If we take carry on where do you leave your bags and do you have to lug them into overhead racks?

Thanks
All the San Joaquin's I've been on (about a half dozen) have had luggage racks at the ends of the cars upstairs in addition to overhead. A trick I use is to find seats turned back to back and slip my bag between them. That keeps the bag closer to me and out of the way.

I've yet seen anyone sizing bags before getting on Amtrak so even if it doesn't fit airline dimensions, you should be good to go.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
The published carry-on dimensions (28" x 22" x 14" in) are considerably larger than airline carry-on dimensions, and those are rarely enforced in my experience. On the other hand, it looks like all the San Joquin trains handle checked luggage, so as long as you check it at least 30 minutes before your train departs, it should arrive when you do. When you check the bag, you will be given a claim check which you will need in Merced to reclaim your luggage. (It may take a few extra minutes for luggage to be unloaded from the baggage car and brought to the station for claiming.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.