Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Stroll-friendly stop on the San Joaquin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold

I want to take my nephew on his first train ride and am I'm looking for a station < 2 hrs from Hanford that has a safe, easily walkable area we can hang out while waiting for our return trip.

Thoughts on Madera, Merced or Wasco?
Old May 15, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Hopefully the brain trust here can provide you with a better answer than I was able to.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Sacramento?

Oh wait you said < 2 hours.

I agree with a short round-trip plan. One of my son's favorite "field trips" one rainy day when we JUST HAD TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE was riding from Davis to Berkeley, getting off the train & having an ice cream, then turning around and coming home. We got a "booth" with the table and when he wasn't looking out the windows he had plenty of room to color.
Old May 15, 2012, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Hopefully the brain trust here can provide you with a better answer than I was able to.
Frankly, I'm still shocked you didn't have the answer.

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Sacramento?

Oh wait you said < 2 hours.

I agree with a short round-trip plan. One of my son's favorite "field trips" one rainy day when we JUST HAD TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE was riding from Davis to Berkeley, getting off the train & having an ice cream, then turning around and coming home. We got a "booth" with the table and when he wasn't looking out the windows he had plenty of room to color.
Yep, that is exactly what I have in mind for us while my brother and sister-in-law attend a wedding. We'll arrive into Hanford by 2pm, with the wedding at 4pm, I imagine my nephew and I should be back around dusk.

IIRC, we would have a 2-3 hour layover on a Saturday.
Old May 15, 2012, 7:36 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Someone said Sacramento... if you can somehow stretch it to four hours each way you can get to Sacramento at around 12:30pm and leave around 5:00pm. Perfect for a visit to Old Town and the California State Railroad Museum, these are both connected to the Amtrak station via a special walkway at the West end of the platform. If you go on the weekend there are also open museum trains that run down the riverbank and back... if you are going to do that get your tickets as soon as you get in to town in case they sell out later.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ted
Someone said Sacramento... if you can somehow stretch it to four hours each way you can get to Sacramento at around 12:30pm and leave around 5:00pm. Perfect for a visit to Old Town and the California State Railroad Museum, these are both connected to the Amtrak station via a special walkway at the West end of the platform. If you go on the weekend there are also open museum trains that run down the riverbank and back... if you are going to do that get your tickets as soon as you get in to town in case they sell out later.
My nephew is a swimmer, so he'll want to use the motel pool at some point. Realistically, we have a 4-5 hr window so won't have enough time to go further than a couple hours distance one-way. Besides that, he's been to Old Sac a few times. Thanks anyway.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

The station in Merced is 3-4 blocks from Bear Creek and Applegate Park in one direction, and from downtown in the other. Not terribly exciting, but there would be a few things to do around there. I haven't dropped by the station, but one of the offices I do consulting in is near there, and I have driven through the area often.

Looks like there is a Zoo at Applegate Park, too, so that might be fun depending on your nephew's age.

Last edited by Doc Savage; May 15, 2012 at 11:41 pm
Old May 16, 2012, 1:23 am
Original Poster

It occurred to me to Google Street View the stations and neighborhoods. Doesn't look too promising. Madera is definitely out. Wasco has a prison. Merced or Fresno look like our best bets.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Would you consider Bakersfield? Station is fairly nice and close to downtown. Plus it would minimize your layover as your train will do a turnaround there.

There is a water park just up the tracks and to your left.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=60...=h&mra=ls&z=17
Old May 16, 2012, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Would you consider Bakersfield?
^ Yes, I would! I don't know why I glossed over it completely. Thanks, I think this will suit us well.
Old May 16, 2012, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

The Fresno Station is walking distance to Chukchansi Park, you might check and see if there is a Fresno Grizzlies game that day....
Old May 18, 2012, 3:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The Lodi station is an easy walk to Downtown Lodi which is actually quite pleasant. I bet he'd love a milkshake at Moo Moo's Burger Barn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.