Union Station - Los Angeles query

Subscribe
Planing a trip in 2013 using Coastal Starlight from SEA - LAX, overnighting in LA & then catching the Southwest Chief the following day to CHI.
My worry is how safe Union Station will be at night as we want to catch a cab to a hotel near the Science Center or take public transport?
Is there anywhere secure we can leave our bags the following morning to explore LA on foot/public transport?
It's not worth renting a car for so short a period & distance.
Quote: Planing a trip in 2013 using Coastal Starlight from SEA - LAX, overnighting in LA & then catching the Southwest Chief the following day to CHI.
My worry is how safe Union Station will be at night as we want to catch a cab to a hotel near the Science Center or take public transport?
Is there anywhere secure we can leave our bags the following morning to explore LA on foot/public transport?
You will be able to check your baggage through to Chicago in Seattle so your only worry is your carry on baggage and stuff for overnight.
Metro plaza hotel (ok hotel for overnight but not a honeymoon place)is very close to Union Station and to the Metro Silver Line which will take you close to your destination. Walking distance from both
Area seemed safe when I was there but of course that is dependent of time of day

Nice resource for hotels is

http://kevinkorell.com/hotels/hotels.htm

It is a collection of hotels accessible by rail
Quote: Planing a trip in 2013 using Coastal Starlight from SEA - LAX, overnighting in LA & then catching the Southwest Chief the following day to CHI.
The area is a safe an area as you can find in any big city.... we've used Hilton Checkers which is near the Angles Falls Inclined Plane.... it's also a few blocks from a Metro stop. I'd take a cab over and subway back.

What I would do is take just the luggage you need for the night and then in the morning check it at the hotel until you're ready to leave for the train.

Bob H
you can store your carry on bags with the baggage room for i think 3 bucks each...
If you are planning this trip in 2013 with a stopover in Los Angeles and visiting the California Science Center in Exposition Park, you can get there on the new Metro Exposition Light Rail line. From Union Station, take the Metro Red Line or Purple Line to 7th Street Metro Center and transfer within the station to the Expo Line, which will run from the station on the same tracks as Metro Blue Line. Arrive at the new USC/Exposition Park Station. The Science Center will be a short walk from the station across the Rose Garden of Exposition Park.