Going cross country

Old Apr 15, 2023, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Going cross country

Considering taking Amtrak from NJ to LA. Anyone else do it in first class?
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Yes. a number of times. You will need to change trains most likely in Chicago, but New Orleans is also a possibility. I happen to enjoy trains and traveling by sleeping car (first class) so I have enjoyed my trips on Amtrak for the most part. However, in the past couple of years there have been a number of operational issues (covid for one) and the elimination of full dining car service on East Coast trains that have made the trip less attractive and usually more expensive. But even if Amtrak was perfection, some people might not enjoy the experience that much (for any of a hundred reasons),
trooper and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schriste
Yes. a number of times. You will need to change trains most likely in Chicago, but New Orleans is also a possibility. I happen to enjoy trains and traveling by sleeping car (first class) so I have enjoyed my trips on Amtrak for the most part. However, in the past couple of years there have been a number of operational issues (covid for one) and the elimination of full dining car service on East Coast trains that have made the trip less attractive and usually more expensive. But even if Amtrak was perfection, some people might not enjoy the experience that much (for any of a hundred reasons),
Thank you very much. It seems the Chicago route involves changing trains only once, and takes just under 3 days. Has that been your experience? Delays? (yes, I know they happen everywhere).
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yes, and I hope to do it again. However, my sister-in-law took the train in sleeper class from northern California to Washington and was bored to the point of "Never again."

Do you have any specific questions? I would recommend a train to Chicago and then the Southwest Chief (or the California Zephyr and Coast Starlight). In other words, I would recommend avoiding the Crescent and the Texas Eagle (due to regular reports of substandard food and rude train crews).
Mary2e likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:38 am
Suspended

I havent done NJ to LA, but I have taken the Lake Shore Limited, and I tried commuting on an overnight train between NY and the Southeast, all in first class (sleeping cars).

Never again. Enough nasty employees that at some point youll deal with one of them, and TV dinner food, wrapped in plastic with the labels still on, on trains east of Chicago, and rattling old equipment, all at a higher price than flying first class.

Its not worth it.

Imagine if the US had only one airline, government-funded and with a limited schedule. Just how great would air travel be?
Mary2e, SkyLich, roberto99 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Thank you very much. It seems the Chicago route involves changing trains only once, and takes just under 3 days. Has that been your experience? Delays? (yes, I know they happen everywhere).
Yes, it takes 3 nights to get to Los Angeles. If possible, I'd suggest trying to take the train to San Francisco (Oakland) as that particular route is exceptionally scenic from Denver to Salt Lake.

You can scan through the posts here and get some idea of some of the recent issues. Lousy food on the train to Chicago is one. Another has been a shortage of equipment with some unlucky sleeping car passengers suddenly finding out they no longer have a sleeper. I imagine the odds are not great of this happening, but in the past, I never even worried about it. I have usually had pretty good staff on the Western long-distance trains. My last trip from Chicago to Reno in 2021 had a very good crew.
Mary2e and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serpens
Yes, and I hope to do it again. However, my sister-in-law took the train in sleeper class from northern California to Washington and was bored to the point of "Never again."

Do you have any specific questions? I would recommend a train to Chicago and then the Southwest Chief (or the California Zephyr and Coast Starlight). In other words, I would recommend avoiding the Crescent and the Texas Eagle (due to regular reports of substandard food and rude train crews).
Thank you. Nothing specific yet, we're just tossing around the idea. We have 2 little dogs and thought it might be easier to take them on the train before we put them on a plane to Hawaii. But we may simply fly and take a couple of days before flying again.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I havent done NJ to LA, but I have taken the Lake Shore Limited, and I tried commuting on an overnight train between NY and the Southeast, all in first class (sleeping cars).

Never again. Enough nasty employees that at some point youll deal with one of them, and TV dinner food, wrapped in plastic with the labels still on, on trains east of Chicago, and rattling old equipment, all at a higher price than flying first class.

Its not worth it.

Imagine if the US had only one airline, government-funded and with a limited schedule. Just how great would air travel be?
Thank you.

Originally Posted by schriste
Yes, it takes 3 nights to get to Los Angeles. If possible, I'd suggest trying to take the train to San Francisco (Oakland) as that particular route is exceptionally scenic from Denver to Salt Lake.

You can scan through the posts here and get some idea of some of the recent issues. Lousy food on the train to Chicago is one. Another has been a shortage of equipment with some unlucky sleeping car passengers suddenly finding out they no longer have a sleeper. I imagine the odds are not great of this happening, but in the past, I never even worried about it. I have usually had pretty good staff on the Western long-distance trains. My last trip from Chicago to Reno in 2021 had a very good crew.
Not having a sleeper would be more than upsetting The only way we would go would be for the sleeper/bedroom.

Thank you
Old Apr 15, 2023, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thank you. Nothing specific yet, we're just tossing around the idea. We have 2 little dogs and thought it might be easier to take them on the train before we put them on a plane to Hawaii. But we may simply fly and take a couple of days before flying again.
I have taken the train across the country several times. With the right mindset it's any enjoyable experience IMHO.

I do not think I would attempt it with dogs. I'm not even sure if that's possible even with the new pet policy.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I took the Coast Starlight (with a room) Seattle to Los Angeles and back a few weeks ago. Quite enjoyable even if the crew made as if it is/was like flying UA. Superliner carriages in the west are said to be better than Viewliners in the east.

We have 2 little dogs and thought it might be easier to take them on the train before we put them on a plane to Hawaii. But we may simply fly and take a couple of days before flying again.
Unfortunately pets are only allowed on trips of up to 7-8 hours (not for the train but your trip).
Mary2e likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I took the Coast Starlight (with a room) Seattle to Los Angeles and back a few weeks ago. Quite enjoyable even if the crew made as if it is/was like flying UA. Superliner carriages in the west are said to be better than Viewliners in the east.

Unfortunately pets are only allowed on trips of up to 7-8 hours (not for the train but your trip).
Thank you. I checked and as long as the train stops long enough to take the dogs outside, we're good. Plus, they are trained to use pads (& insist on them indoors).
Old Apr 15, 2023, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
https://www.amtrak.com/pets

Per the pet policy

Pets should remain entirely inside a closed carrier while in stations and onboard trains and must remain with you at all times; do not leave them alone.Onboard, place your pet carrier under your seat (not under the seat in front of you), except on Amtrak Cascades trains where you can put your pet carrier on the floor in front of the seat next to you.Pets are welcome in Coach class and Acela Business Class, but remember they may not travel in Acela First Class seating, non-Acela Business class, First Class private rooms or food service cars.Some routes designate a specific Coach car for pets: Amtrak Cascades, Carl Sandburg, Illinois Zephyr, Illini, Lincoln Service, Saluki, Pere Marquette, Wolverine, Blue Water, Hiawatha and Missouri River Runner. On other pet friendly routes, you and your pet may ride in any Coach car.
​​​​​​​Looks like pets in sleepers are a no go. That's what I thought, but wasn't positive.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
https://www.amtrak.com/pets

Per the pet policy

​​​​​​​Looks like pets in sleepers are a no go. That's what I thought, but wasn't positive.
Well, then we simply won't use Amtrak
Old Apr 15, 2023, 4:35 pm

Well, then we simply won't use Amtrak
Yeah, I just wanted to make sure I had the policy correct in my head.

Certainly, in this case to make it easier on the dogs it won't be a fit for you.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Amtrak east of Chicago is like transferring to the NYC subway. Nasty equipment and staff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.