Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak Guest Rewards Redemption Updates

Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:58 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)

An update regarding redemptions.

As some of our most loyal Amtrak Guest Rewards members, we’d like to inform you of some changes we’re making to a few of our Amtrak travel redemption items. Starting April 1, 2012, a few of our redemption trips will require more points. Points required for free Amtrak travel have not increased since January 2006 and it is necessary to make some adjustments in order to stay in line with today’s costs.

Amtrak redemption reservations that are made prior to April 1, 2012 for travel beginning on or after April 1, 2012 will not incur additional point costs unless the member requests a modification to the itinerary.

For more information on the changes, please visit: https://amtrakguestrewards.com/info/...demptionchange

Becky Parks

Senior Marketing Officer, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: AGR Select+, Hilton Gold, Luv SWA, wish their points wud transfer to Amtrak.....
Well, (sigh) thanks for the update, I guess. Although it's not any news I wanted to hear, I understand.

Was any thought given to Select+ members needing fewer points, or gaining any new "perks"?

And, any news on the United/CO front related to the use of the new United Club beyond the first couple of months of 2012?

Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
^ to holding the line on roomette levels. to still having no Rule Buster awards for sleepers or special routes.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Indeed, it was bound to happen...and to everyone's favorite, best-value redemptions.

These communications do address my main historical complaint about AGR: major rule or award level changes with no notice. We now have three months' notice, with future-date bookings honored at the old award levels just like the airlines, all of which is perfectly acceptable.

Thank you for the greatly improved communication both on the website and through social media.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gatelouse
Indeed, it was bound to happen...and to everyone's favorite, best-value redemptions.
Speak for yourself.

Roomette awards still cost the same. ^
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
The 2 zone bedroom award increases by 33% which is the highest increase I have seen in any program. If I recall correctly, if we redeem before the changes go into effect, we would have to complete the travel within 1 year of redemption. Is there any way to book 16 months in advance at the current award price?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Armani
The 2 zone bedroom award increases by 33% which is the highest increase I have seen in any program. If I recall correctly, if we redeem before the changes go into effect, we would have to complete the travel within 1 year of redemption. Is there any way to book 16 months in advance at the current award price?
No, you can only book amtrak travel (and AGR travel) 11 months in advance.

So at the end of March 2012, you can book for the end of February 2013. That is as far advance as you will be able to go with booking at the old award redemption levels.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by amamba
So at the end of March 2012, you can book for the end of February 2013. That is as far advance as you will be able to go with booking at the old award redemption levels.
And better hope your plans don't change in the meantime since any changes to the itinerary will trigger the new award levels.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by nerd
Speak for yourself.

Roomette awards still cost the same. ^
True. And I'm actually I'm fine as well--I usually redeem for 3-zone coach.

(JUST KIDDING!!)
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Why was the other thread closed rather than merged? It had some valid points, including my own. :-)
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Why was the other thread closed rather than merged? It had some valid points, including my own. :-)
And it was also started first. This is the duplicate.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:11 pm
Suspended

You may wish to familiarize yourself with the FT rules:
http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q86
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM

There was a thought process on merging vs. closing. I didn't want to merge the other thread into this one, as it would have bumped the official announcement from AGR Insider down several posts. This keeps it as the top post and also shows AGR Insider as the thread originator on the board index.

That said, if everyone here would rather have these threads merged, I can do that too. At the risk of hijacking the thread further, any have any comments on merging vs. closing?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm never going to have enough for a bedroom on the California Zephyr!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
There was a thought process on merging vs. closing. I didn't want to merge the other thread into this one, as it would have bumped the official announcement from AGR Insider down several posts. This keeps it as the top post and also shows AGR Insider as the thread originator on the board index.

That said, if everyone here would rather have these threads merged, I can do that too. At the risk of hijacking the thread further, any have any comments on merging vs. closing?
Well, the other thread's title is certainly more descriptive than the sanitized corporate-speak (understandably) used by AGR Insider.

But to your point, I don't think it matters a whole lot either way. The other thread's closed...I say that's fine. But maybe a link to the other thread would be appropriate:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...on-2012-a.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.