Amtrak Point Devaluation 2012

Subscribe
Just noticed from April 1 points needed are shooting up. What I liked about Amtrak travel is the flexibility. However, with this devaluation if you make a change you will have to pay the difference in points it seems. Suddenly that Northeast travel becomes much less attractive. Perhaps need to consider using BA miles - their one way ticket costs 4500 Avios points from Was to NYC on AA.
That stinks, I was saving up for a 30,000 2 zone BR award. That said, it HAS been steady for 6 years now, it was bound to happen.
It appears that none of the roomettes are going up. That'll make them a bargain, relative to the bedrooms, especially on one-zone sleeper awards.

Beforehand, spending 20,000 points on a bedroom for two was a no-brainer for me, since the roomettes were just 5,000 points cheaper.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

This bites. The 33% increase for NER makes me reconsider leaving DL. Also, I may have to shift away from AGR credit card, since the points are now worth less.
Rubbish changes. Most of my points are obtained by buying them during promotions-keeps a NER cost down to about $65 (normally pricing is from about $75-140), so I have to recalculate everything now with the new redemption.

^ Thanks to OP though for bringing this up as I wouldn't have noticed.
Quote: Rubbish changes. Most of my points are obtained by buying them during promotions-keeps a NER cost down to about $65 (normally pricing is from about $75-140), so I have to recalculate everything now with the new redemption.

^ Thanks to OP though for bringing this up as I wouldn't have noticed.
Good point. I'll never buy points again.
Closing this duplicate thread. Please follow the redemption changes in the main thread started by AGR Insider: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...n-updates.html

ByeByeDelta
AGR Moderator