Tipping - ClubAcela

Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Cent AU, UA Plat, 9W Plat, Amtrak S+, HHonors Slv
Tipping - ClubAcela

Is this required, encouraged, whatnot? I just saw an awkward encounter where it looked like the attendant was waiting for something when letting the passenger board the elevator to the tracks but the passenger seemed to not realize. Don't want to be in that situation in a bit.

Normally I just go down to the concourse level in PHL to use the Keystone but today it's a madhouse and I want to avoid it on my way to 2254.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
I've never seen a CA agent tipped for anything. I suppose if one really went out of their way to solve a reservation problem for you, or if they assisted you in carrying your luggage, then maybe a tip might be appropriate. But then I've never seen one assist with luggage either.

But normally, no, they don't get tipped and shouldn't be expecting a tip.

Could they have been waiting for another passenger to get to the elevator? Or maybe they were having trouble with the key to unlock the elevator to get it to go down to the track level?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I haven't tipped when I've used the Metropolitan Lounge (in pre-Club Acela days).

I've had an airline lounge membership for almost 10 years and tipping there would not happen; I view Amtrak's lounges in the same way.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Amtrak Select, SPG Gold
I've never tipped in a club acela.

I occasionally tip the first class attendants if I receive exceptional service.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CA No, Car Attendants Yes

I've never seen anyone tip a CA manager. I generally tip the F attendants $10-20 (which seems to be the norm if you watch what people hand the one at the exit door) depending on the trip (WAS-NYP = $20, WAS-PHL = $10).
Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Often1
I've never seen anyone tip a CA manager. I generally tip the F attendants $10-20 (which seems to be the norm if you watch what people hand the one at the exit door) depending on the trip (WAS-NYP = $20, WAS-PHL = $10).
That seems higher than what I have observed on average. I normally see people tip $5-$10 from NYP-BOS.

I have never see anyone tip a CA attendant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.