Wiki Posts
Search

Wifi On Keystones

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Wifi On Keystones

I was on the 600 Keystone HAR-PHL this morning and much to my surprise, my phone sniffed out "AmtrakConnect" open and free wireless. It took me to a T&C page that looked Amtrak legit, and proceeded to connect me to the internet, albeit at slower connection than my phone's 3g connection.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Just hopped aboard NER 130 and it's there too... Did I miss the news? I feel like this would have been a big announcement.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:00 am
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Hi all, you are both correct, we are in the testing phase of adding WiFi to some of our trains. Expect a formal announcement from Amtrak soon

Becky Parks
Senior Marketing Officer, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
I'm glad its still in the testing phase because it is awefully slow and hangs...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
It's been on several NE Regionals I've been on in the past few weeks. It seems usable - and noticeably faster than the Acela wireless - but not blazing fast. That's a low standard though, as it took a single web page 10 minutes to load on my iPad last week on a midafternoon Friday Acela. Most of the time I just use my MiFi on the NEC trains if I actually need to be connected/do work.

The speed might simply be because not enough folks were looking for it on the Regionals, but hopefully the pipe is bigger.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
Actually I have used it in Acela First and it works great. Not sure if there is a difference in Acela Business...maybe it's too much suit material which is blocking it (just kidding)

On the NEC it is almost unusable. I use my 4G Wifi hotspot instead!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: AMEX Cent AU, UA Plat, 9W Plat, Amtrak S+, HHonors Slv
NER 140/141 have always netted me speeds in the 5-7 Mbps range. Not bad for free Wi-Fi on a train, although my iPhone's 12 Mbps is always welcome.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Saw a few other blog posts about AmtrakConnect Wi-Fi soft launching on Northeast Regionals last week -- and sure enough, it was live on my Virginia regional on Sunday. It seemed to drop coverage wherever my phone also had no coverage, but it was adequate and was a pleasant surprise both to me and (judging from their conversations) to several people sitting nearby.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:21 am

I am not sure if the ACELA F car has a separate WiFi Router, but I have never experienced slow speeds while ridding ACELA F.

Now Business Class is an entirely different story and twice now I have been unable to surf a simple website while logged onto ACELA Business WiFi.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.